Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

super_common_name t1_iwd9wn3 wrote

People have given great references and advice but I just want to add a few things:

You're doing a great job of building your future. School, work, a daughter - all those things are wonderful. Please know that you're doing all the right things and headed in the right direction.

Resources:

• School financial aid depts often have loans for emergencies. If you go in and tell them that $500 was stolen, they may be able to give you a loan. You'll have to advocate for yourself and ask for that - tell them you've heard that emergency financial help might be available, and ask if there's anything they can do for you.
  • Religious organizations often provide financial and other help. Even if you aren't Jewish or Catholic, you can go say that you are or that you were raised in that religion and let them know you're turning to them for help.
  • If you're not already on WIC or whatever food stamps are called in NYC, apply for those. It doesn't matter that you're working.
  • You can call 211 to be referred to places that can help prevent homelessness by giving emergency rent money. Your school's financial aid office might also be able to refer you to lots of financial programs like this. They may also help with childcare programs.
  • Sign up for Christmas gift programs for kids, and holiday food, etc. You're surrounded by a community that wants to help. Let them help.
  • If you need to work less, apply for temporary disability. It will probably pay 60% of your income. You can even apply for that just for working fewer hours.
  • Meds help. Friends help. Laughter helps. Don't turn away anything that helps.
  • If you can get away from the relative who stole from you, do so. Try to stop interacting with anyone in your life who's toxic. Not always possible, but guard yourself from them as much as you can.

Avoiding being 5150'd:

You'll be asked if you have a plan to commit suicide. If you don't, you won't be 5150'd. They want to know if you want to commit suicide, if you have a plan, and if you have a means to carry out that plan. (Same for hurting others.) You can talk about feelings of despair, panic, the feeling that you shouldn't exist. Also talk about what brings you out of it, like thinking of your daughter. They won't force you to go to a psych center, they'll talk to you and help you.

Long-term:

School full time, work part time, single parenting, NYC... not gonna lie, that's a lot. An awful lot. Think about if there are any ways to slow the pace. School part time, more child care help, disability instead of work... there might not be solutions, there probably aren't ideal solutions, but consider possibilities and ask around for help.

You've achieved a lot so far, and 10 years from now you'll look back and be proud of what you're achieving now. I wish you the best.

jcf1 t1_iwdjt5v wrote

This should be top post. Immensely compassionate and empathetic but also providing great resources.

goldenporsche t1_iwey425 wrote

this was such a kind, thorough post. thank you for taking the time to help this person.

kek99999 t1_iwdng69 wrote

I agree with 99% of what you said, but “drugs help”? I’m not sure if you mean meds or like illicit drugs.

I’m ultra progressive and am definitely not opposed to the latter, but I don’t think mixing illicit drugs in an unstable mental health episode is a great idea (coming from someone who is neurodivergent).

princessnegrita t1_iwe4b23 wrote

In the context of everything else, I’m fairly sure they’re talking about medication. Another comment above mentioned staying away from psych meds which isn’t helpful to someone who might benefit from them.