Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ShinyGodzilla OP t1_iwzang2 wrote

>NEW YORK (PIX11) — Four bills meant to tackle New York City’s historic rat problem were signed by Mayor Eric Adams on Friday.

>The mayor’s “Get Stuff Clean” initiative, along with the newly signed legislation, is all part of a concerted effort to create a cleaner New York.

>“This legislation doubles down on our efforts and is another important step to put a dent in our rodent population. Rat-free streets are vital to vibrant neighborhoods and our city’s economic recovery, and I thank the City Council for their partnership in keeping our city squeaky clean” said Adams.

>Intros. 414-4 and 459-A detail rules for so-called rat mitigation zones. The Department of Health and Mental Services must issue an annual report on the success of clearing out rats in these zones. The DOHMH has until April 1, 2023, to identify and declare the zones. Intro. 459-A also allows the Department of Sanitation to issue restrictions on what time of day the buildings in these zones can set out trash and recycling for collection.

>Another bill, Intro 442-A, aims to reduce the presence of rats in construction areas by requiring proof that an exterminator was hired before construction work can begin.

>The last bill, Intro 460-A, requires buildings that have two or more rodent housing or health code violations to use “rodent-resistant containers” for at least two years.

reignnyday t1_iwzbf8k wrote

They need to address the parks somehow. These guys are rampant through MSQ after sunset

AugustWest7120 t1_iwzfhhj wrote

Bring out the terriers, bring out the terriers!

eastvenomrebel t1_iwzfpwz wrote

We don't need new laws, we need snakes... Lots of 'em! /s

Chillycloth t1_iwzmqyt wrote

Wow. And I fixed the drug problem by passing new laws. See how easy it is to fix things?

−1

FrankFriendo t1_ix0u013 wrote

I actually read the article so let me sum it up: it’s now illegal to be a rat

miltonfriedman2028 t1_ix114pz wrote

Can’t we just cure the diseases rats have and the genetically engineer them to be cuter?

grandzu t1_ix1acfd wrote

More ways to fine property owners.

Iconoclast123 t1_ix1nm56 wrote

The one thing that would make a substantive difference is handing out tickets to property owners who do not have properly covered trash containers. For some reason that is nowhere on this list.

BleachyPoo712 t1_ix23u94 wrote

I don't think the rats are gonna follow them sadly

screenaholic t1_ix2oypl wrote

I can solve the rat problem. All NYC residents are now legally required to carry pellet guns and shoot rats on sight. Problem solved.

utamog t1_ixxsi1h wrote

Please end those outdoor dining shack, my dog finds literally 30 rats on each walk at night under them. He is a ratter and drags me to see his rat friends.