Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Shaartvark t1_iy4k775 wrote

Meet up groups! If you have a hobby or other interests there tend to be groups around the city that get together to participate/share in those kinds of things. I personally was into longboarding and snowboarding and was able to find groups that met up to either grab lunch/drinks or who met up and planned trips for riding in and around the city. It was a little intimidating at first but after going a few times I started to get familiar with folks and was able to branch out more.

Lost_sidhe t1_iy4j439 wrote

You won't. It's an endless cycle of attempting to chat with people, and then getting too busy, and then they're too busy, and then you're too busy, then one has a kid, and another moves, repeat forever.

Canyousourcethatplz t1_iy4m9ec wrote

Is that NYC or just getting old?

Chav t1_iy4ncsq wrote

Depending on how willing you are to travel, if they don't live in your neighborhood or a few stops away, meeting up regularly can be a pain. In the suburbs, I assume they drive to each others houses or the local chilis or something to hang out.

Canyousourcethatplz t1_iy4whis wrote

>meeting up regularly can be a pain

This is so hard to explain to people not from here. From where I live, to get to my friends in brooklyn, its a 90 min train commute minimum.

Thats the same amount of time it takes to drive to Philly, or fly to Chicago. Even tho the distance may be small, actually getting to see someone in NYC can take alot of time.

Lost_sidhe t1_iy4oqf0 wrote

I dunno, I've never gotten old anywhere else. I will say from friends back home, "old" just seems to start a helluva lot earlier. Plus being stuck with the same people from high school forever... *shudder*

Canyousourcethatplz t1_iy4x14k wrote

>plus being stuck with the same people from high school forever... *shudder*

It's hard for me to convey how much I agree with this statement lol. There is something about NYC being so active all the time that makes you feel younger. Part of me thinks that this sentiment is just life. I think as people get older, with the demands of work, relationships/families, and everything else, it often means less time to chill with friends.

DawgsWorld t1_iy4l41p wrote

Easiest way is to focus on your interests and obviously those that would involve automatic social interactions. Hiking, cycling, running and other active pursuits are the best IMO. But so much to do indoors with groups as well. For starters, why not check out meetup.com?

reubensandrye t1_iy4j48h wrote

hey! where you living? easier to give advice knowing which hood you're in and what the vibe is.

[deleted] OP t1_iy4kyef wrote

If you’re not the one to strike up a convo with a stranger while out and about and don’t want to hang out with coworkers or you work from home, check out FB groups and IG for meet ups. Meetup also has activities for people with same interests for just about whatever you are into. So many activities here and people to meet good luck!

jenax t1_iy4m7uw wrote

I had a number of classmates start work in NYC after graduation at the same time, it is an easy in-group if you have any available.

I’ve also made friends through my local hangouts ie my go-to coffeeshop and bar and through my hobbies ie yoga, softball, and ceramics. I follow a decently successful formula:

The trick is to find places that you vibe with or activities you enjoy and can hang out at on a consistent basis. These places/activities should be others peoples downtime rather than their jobs, which may obligate them to be friendly when they just want to collect a paycheck. Once you’ve establish yourself as regular, people will recognize you as 1) a friendly face, and 2) someone worth investing time/effort.

From there, you can open with a compliment and question either regarding the common activity (“I love glaze combo on that mug! Is it your own mixture?”) or regarding something about their own person that the clearly take pride in, like their outfit/makeup/hair/style/book that they’re reading and ask for recommendations.

Obviously this is easier to navigate as a woman speaking to another woman, but generally I find most men are surprised albeit very receptive to compliments since they’re less likely to have peers give them regularly. If people react poorly, take heed and just disregard them, no skin off your back. If people take it as romantic/sexual interest and you’re not interested, laugh it off as if they’re joking.

drumstix97 t1_iy4n4dm wrote

If you like EDM i highly suggest downloading the app Radiate.

The NYC groups are super active and I have met some of my closest friends off the app :D

imk t1_iy4ljtz wrote

• be attractive
  • don’t be unattractive

Seriously though, I have no idea. I have lived here for 4 months now. When I came here I already had some friends and I rarely see them. One girl I know lives a block away from me and I have not seen her once. People are just busy.

SpicyPickledHam t1_iy4h811 wrote

Just ride the subway and talk to people sitting next to you. You’ll get all kinds of attention that way.

−8

sanjsrik t1_iy4jjg5 wrote

MANY people do this. Whoever down voted this is a moron and terrified of their own shadow and most likely from somewhere else.

−1

drpvn t1_iy4lrhf wrote

People from somewhere else are the WORST!

SpicyPickledHam t1_iy4nkyo wrote

I just wish no one would ever leave the place they’re from!

/s