Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AeneasSonofAnchises t1_j2bd1x9 wrote

That’s fine if you want to drive.

But as someone who pays an obscene amount of taxes to this city, state, gov. I’m kinda tired of subsidizing car drivers choice to drive, while transit gets shafted.

If you want to drive that’s fine, but it’s the most expensive decision both financially and environmentally.

If driving gets expensive enough, you may start to petition for better public transit

−21

ParadoxScientist t1_j2boqj1 wrote

As a driver myself I'm always in favor of expanding transit and believe it is the ONLY option to reducing car dependency. However most people see the MTA's track record and have no hope, so they don't bother spreading awareness. And a lot of these people are transit users themselves, not drivers. "It would be nice but it's never gonna happen." A lot of these people don't even know about the The Triboro project, the Interborough Express, and the Queenslink.

If the city truly cared they would start expanding transit ASAP, but nope, they always have some political and financial problems. Meanwhile other developed cities around the world have robust, modern subway systems.

AeneasSonofAnchises t1_j2cix3s wrote

Agree, I wish the MTA didn’t suck so hard. But would rather fix it then encourage more cars.

InfernalTest t1_j2cejsl wrote

if youre getting "taxed an obscene amount "....... drivers are too

and i guarantee youre not paying anything close to what people pay in the outlaying counties pay in property taxes - the same people who are needed to come into the city to work and buy stuff here...

AeneasSonofAnchises t1_j2cff9r wrote

And that’s why the LIRR was invented. You want to drive in LI fine, but you shouldnt have a right to drive your 2 ton box into the city for free.

Hell, I think the LIRR should be free and the queensboro should have a $100 toll to encourage it

oreosfly t1_j2f70rn wrote

LIRR free? Hahahaha

LIRR, MNRR, and the express bus costing more than the subway is a big reason why are a billion times more pleasant to ride than the subway.

TetraCubane t1_j2cn961 wrote

LIRR free? What the fuck, we don’t want homeless bums to invade that.

InfernalTest t1_j2f44tf wrote

wait who are you to say what someone should have a "right" to do ???

and im pretty sure you make yourself availible to using a 2 ton box or benefit FROM those 2 ton boxes - LIRR isnt here to replace cars

jonnycash11 t1_j2btbex wrote

What do you mean “subsidizing”? Are you sure you know what that word means?

I pay 30+ cents in state and local taxes a gallon. I’m sure some of that money is going towards the financially insoluble MTA.

Try getting off of Long Island without paying an exorbitant amount in tolls and fares. Most of that money is subsidizing other projects across the state.