Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ThreeLittlePuigs t1_iyhjk8z wrote

Everyone saying “hurray they’re going to commit people” is missing the point. Sure we need to forcibly hospitalize people, but we also need a place to put them. The city has made 0 indication they are going to open up new crisis stabilization or safe haven beds, and the states only adding 50. We don’t have enough psych beds as is, so what are we going to do with all these folks? The city and state need to get serious and add the infrastructure to back up their policy.

BrieGoneThot t1_iyhjzff wrote

You know it's getting bad when all the top comments on the NYT article are in favor if this. But a few hyper progressive assholes will ruin it for all of us.

SuperTeamRyan t1_iyhp1q0 wrote

A lot of comments in these threads say we don't have enough beds but in my head I'm thinking for the most part a small population of insane people create the majority of the problem. I don't have the numbers but I'm assuming it's something like maybe 350 of these mentally unstable individuals can cause 100% of the visible interactions and it's often the same few individuals so in reality a small number of beds would have a large affect on the actual problem.

Again this is just a thoughy and I don't have the hard numbers to back this up so anyone who is more knowledgeable please chime in.

mowotlarx t1_iyhv0w2 wrote

>I don't have the numbers

This is a city of nearly 9 million people and you think only 350 homeless mentally ill people sounds right?

We have zero beds available even for that wildly small number. We don't have beds for housed mentally ill people. This will be a massive crisis in hospitals the day they begin to try to enforce false imprisonment in hospitals.

CactusBoyScout OP t1_iyhy82y wrote

And it’s not just bed capacity. Someone who works in this field commented on the first NYTimes article saying basically that the whims of the mayor won’t change established legal guidelines for committing people or the decades of court case rulings that got us to this point.

Adams can’t snap his fingers and make the state hold more people in facilities. There might be an increase in 72 hour holds but that’s about it.

SuperTeamRyan t1_iyhyiwp wrote

I'm not saying that I'm saying a small number of mentally unwell people cause most of the visible problems that affect quality of life. There were 60000 homeless in NYC of that about 2k were street homeless and not housed in the shelter system. Even if we assume all 2k of the street homeless are dangerous insane and violent getting even 350 of the worst offenders off the street would drastically improve the quality of life for most new yorkers.

Noumenon_Invictus t1_iyi14sv wrote

Forcible committing these people is horribly racist.

−14

ThreeLittlePuigs t1_iyi1scv wrote

Math isn’t nearly that clean. There’s actually just over 60,000 folks in shelters and not everyone “in a shelter” is accounted for or not a potential psych case. I wouldn’t be surprised if the number were talking about is closer to 3-4k for the most problematic folks, but that’s still way more than we have the resources / beds to house. As I mentioned there aren’t enough beds as is for even normal psych cases

SuperTeamRyan t1_iyj30wb wrote

I get that but we're specifically talking about the homeless in the context of violent or aggressive mentally unstable homeless people. If you are couch surfing there are people taking care of you to some degree and you're less likely to be one of those guys on the subway or street people complain about.

ForeverAclone95 t1_iyjgmwo wrote

I don’t think weakening due process protections for people is going to fix the problem of lack of beds. It’s already not that hard to civilly commit people the problem is that they get discharged before they’re ready to be discharged or just turned away at the ER — cops bringing more people in to get turned away is not going to change much.

People who are voluntarily committed already get discharged early, what is this going to do to help?

This is just performative hostility to a despised population

Evening_Presence_927 t1_iyjmuka wrote

Exactly. This will just turn into a revolving door of homeless people being committed into a hospital system and then being spit back out after being stabilized with no long-term care.

It’s all just an attempt on Adams’ part to save face after being caught at the wheel on the crime issue.

my5cent t1_iyjsmz2 wrote

What system? The city doesn't make mental health problems. With varying degree, everyone has some degree of mental health issues but the most troublesome are the drug addicted and homeless. You can't throw enough money at the problem for it to fix itself.

Evening_Presence_927 t1_iykqx48 wrote

But that’s the problem. The plan is the system I’m talking about. The hospital system doesn’t have the ability to provide long-term care for these individuals, so they’ll more likely than not end up back in the street.

BlkMysterion t1_iym4d6g wrote

Where do they intend to put people. What stops the corruption like every public service in nyc? Shelters build an image for this same purpose. What do we define as mentally ill. There's one lady in my hood thats schizo doesnt harm anyone. But I've seen her live 20 different lives over the past 30 years, high life art gallery, to homeless, to teacher id run into every so often and it was like hanging out with a different person each time.