Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kiwi3p t1_iyiee0d wrote

While I'm not surprised that we've topped the list, the reason we continue to stay is both what the city offers culturally and the salaries here.

He did a stint in Portugal during the pandemic and were SHOCKED at how expensive rent was and how low the salaries were. Granted, compared to the rest of western Europe, they pay much lower, but still it was a no brainer that coming back here would mean a better quality of life.

Other cities on the list like Paris and Copenhagen offer half the salary (or less) of what we could get here in Brooklyn with similar rents. I'm sure the full Economist article could probably prove me wrong, but it still felt more affordable here relative to rent prices than anywhere we were scoping out in Europe.

SoulfulYam t1_iyjumvz wrote

What people also neglect too is the fact that the vast majority of cities in the U.S. fucking suck. NYC is literally one of the very few cities in the country where you actually get the amenities that come with urban living.

kiwi3p t1_iz0jqpo wrote

Absolutely. Visiting family in Seattle it definitely makes more sense to live outside the city rather than within.

wanderercouple t1_iyklxyy wrote

Yeah but in Copenhagen college, retirement, health care is taken care of. You can take super long maternity/paternity leave. Lots of other social benefits. I would take that security in life over higher salary.

kiwi3p t1_iz0jwxk wrote

Don't get me wrong. I love all of these things, but rent seems extremely out of reach in Copenhagen. Would love to move there as that security is hard to quantify. Don't like being tied to my job for health care.

WVOQuineMegaFan t1_iyjm81p wrote

Got to go to the Prauge/Budapest/Vienna zone

kiwi3p t1_iz0eizv wrote

Is there a good rent/salary kinda ratio there? We did that whole region for our honeymoon. Loved Budapest and knew it was cheap, but would be afraid of living under Orban. Don't know much about the prices of the other two cities, just that while the people of Vienna seemed snooty, they all live in kick ass social housing.