Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Affectionate_Ear3330 t1_j1jofp3 wrote

Most mothers of color would stay home for a 3yo. With govt benefits there is zero incentive to use child care voucher BEFORE they are actually mandated to attend school. The snake eats it’s own tail. Now if your middle class and working and don’t receive handouts, regardless of ethic background you would be clamoring to get free childcare. That’s what’s happening in this story.

−5

WorthPrudent3028 t1_j1l3nwp wrote

So you made a racist comment against mothers of color, but you were also unknowingly racist against white mothers. White mothers don't want their toddlers to leave the house any more than mothers of color. 3-K is about socialization. If your kid hasn't done it before then, you're already behind. The "white" folks put their kids in day care from infancy.

The welfare shit is just nonsense. You clearly don't know how welfare works.

Affectionate_Ear3330 t1_j1mnuof wrote

First of all I am a POC and nothing I said was racist. I was stating real world behaviors. Culturally POC mothers do not send children to govt schools until they have to for 1) safety reasons - a 3yo is still having an adult wipe them 2) because there is pressure from extended family to not over-Americanize and or under-culturalize your child. Aka the “remember we are not like them” conversation.

My second point regarding benefits Is 100% facts, if you already are hearing if from family “don’t take the baby to daycare with strangers” and the local govt provides SNAP, WIC, Health/Dental until the child is school age (5+) where is the incentive to use this program????

You would actually be doing harm to your community because a local Aunty/Grandma could watch your child under the guise of your own cultural standards(this is the socialization part) in exchange for cash or SNAP.

This literally happens every day in this city. You and the writers of the article, and all the commentators calling what I said racism; are out of touch with the reality of human behavior and motivations. Particularly, those pertaining to POC and the poverty stricken.

I never said anything about white folks because it’s not a issue of skin color. It’s cultural/ethnic morality that is on display in this problem. I wasn’t trying to single white ppl out but yes the middle and upper class whites of NYC face much less barriers to placing their children into these school programs at earlier ages because 1) the nuclear family is all that matters to them ‘culturally’ 2) they are more likely to be highly educated and working full time 3) they are not receiving govt benefits that incentivize staying home with their child beyond the ages of 1-2.

I wasn’t demonizing welfare but yes it’s true the current setup is unfair to lower middle and working class families. There should be universal parental benefits. I personally believe income eligibility should not be apart of SNAP at all.

−4

ctindel t1_j1xik8j wrote

What government benefits do you lose if you enroll your child in 3K and UPK?

DiNovi t1_j1lx5xo wrote

your world view is bizarre

Remarkable_Landscape t1_j1m6d41 wrote

You misspelled "racist"

DiNovi t1_j1md98r wrote

sure but the idea working class people don’t work and somehow survive this way anywhere is just bizarre

Remarkable_Landscape t1_j1m6in6 wrote

Hey Regan called, he said you should shut up. They retired that dog whistle a while back.

Affectionate_Ear3330 t1_j1mo8x8 wrote

Umm do you know what nuance is? Y’all are the ones demonizing what I said. I did not insult welfare recipients.