Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pseudochef93 t1_j1r75rs wrote

Roz and Emily sound like two transplants trying to convince lifelong NYers that they’re legit because they know how to pronounce and spell “Kosciusko” correctly.

Phaedrusnyc t1_j1s03s1 wrote

Roz Chast was born and raised in Brooklyn, is a famous cartoonist, and a nice lady.

tofu- t1_j1r83pg wrote

Lived in Brooklyn and queens my entire life -- still can't spell or pronounce it 👍

janandgeorgeglass t1_j1raqpn wrote

Umm rude don't spoil this subs usual anti transplant circle jerk lol

FloatingWeight t1_j1uwr7o wrote

I think he’s actually validating it in a way, because you see a lot of transplants over compensate by trying to correct pronunciations and going OD on ny stereotypes like bodegas, timbs, etc

Rarablue0 t1_j1wfnul wrote

If you don’t fit the stereotype, you’re often branded a transplant. I’ve had a number of people guess I’m from Westchester or Ohio or some shit just because I’m a white dude that doesn’t walk around with a fitted and timbs despite being born here.

Annoying but most people are superficial like that or just too lazy to get to know someone.

jonishay8 t1_j1rkixx wrote

People coming to NY and trying food is a good thing for local businesses despite the hater narrative you’re brainwashed to think is normal to repeat like a parrot. If this article helps a small businesses attract new customers, good on roz and Emily.

DJBabyB0kCh0y t1_j1rv79v wrote

I lived off the fucking J train for a while when the new cars with automated announcements came about. That's the only reason I know how to pronounce it. On the old cars where a person made announcements it was always Kahz-e-os-ko