Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

tootsie404 t1_j0uife9 wrote

I wish r/nyc cared as much for Asian women as they do license plates.

WickhamAkimbo t1_j0w57rb wrote

They invented a concept of "white adjacency" out of whole cloth to justify their own racism against Asian people.

ganggangjigae t1_j0w5r17 wrote

And this is why we are going to see more Asians with conceal carry. I hope every Asian women sees this and starts taking their own self defense seriously. That killer can still see his family, Ms. Ma will never get that chance. No sense in waiting for the bureaucrats and the media to start “caring about us”

Guypussy t1_j0ursvh wrote

You’re upset about what you perceive as a lack of coverage by the r/NYC newsroom and its large staff of seasoned reporters?

There’s been plenty of posts about attacks on members of the Asian community the last couple years. Why, in fact, you’re commenting on one right now! 😮

Besides, license plates are the new hotness, no offense to Asians.

−41

user_joined_just_now t1_j0vncdt wrote

The difference in attitude in the two cases from progressives on this sub is pretty interesting.

For most violent crimes, the root cause is everything but the perpetrator: inadequate school funding, lack of access to mental healthcare and housing, not enough open pools, and so on and so forth. When a 14-year-old who has been arrested 18 times shoots someone, it's because Eric Adams didn't hire enough lifeguards. When someone who's been arrested 6 times for robbery ends up killing their girlfriend, it's because libraries had reduced service due to budget cuts. I will ignore the fact that if you need to steal to feed and clothe your family, shoplifting involves a lot less risk than robbery to all parties.

On the other hand, the root cause of illegal parking and license plate obfuscation is the driver, who did it because they're evil. It's strange, because you could easily make an argument that these behaviors have root economic causes; people want to avoid paying for parking or tolls. Does the thought of license plate obfuscation to avoid tolls even cross the mind of Jeff Bezos? Probably not. Nevertheless, there is no attempt to address violations by cars through the "root causes" lens. It is simply a moral failing on the part of the driver.

MillennialNightmare t1_j0vwf7l wrote

Probably because the people committing crimes like avoiding paying tolls, parking illegally, and hiding their license plate are doing so while still owning cars.

−11

user_joined_just_now t1_j0wb73u wrote

Okay, so suppose, in some crazy otherworldly scenario, that we had people committing shootings and robberies while rocking designer clothing. Does this mean we can rule out the root cause as an economic one?

oreosfly t1_j0vvklx wrote

> Besides, license plates are the new hotness, no offense to Asians.

You dropped your “I’m not racist, but…” card

The_Lone_Apple t1_j0u5fvy wrote

People come to the US and work lousy jobs to survive and perhaps do a little better and some worthless lowlife does this. I'd put him away for eternity.

OrphanDad t1_j0uv28x wrote

That’s nuts, just 20 years for murdering someone?

elizabeth-cooper t1_j0uxsay wrote

They let him plead guilty to manslaughter, which is a lesser charge.

OrphanDad t1_j0uy4f1 wrote

I understand that was the plea deal, but it seems fucked up. Like what about this case would’ve been hard to prove in trial?

BaizuoStateOfMind OP t1_j0vbq15 wrote

The prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the attacker meant to kill her, not just attack her.

Plus, trials are a huge expense and Covid created a massive backlog. The DA’s office has no time to try cases.

oreosfly t1_j0vuxjt wrote

Most cases end in pleas rather than trial. There is no such thing as a “slam dunk case”. DAs don’t want to face political blowback for losing “easy” cases (see OJ Simpson and Gil Garcetti), defendants don’t want to stare down the barrel of life in prison without parole.

That being said, 20 years for a 33 year old for murder is a disgrace.

MeVersusShark t1_j1dblnq wrote

There are slam dunk cases, but they plead out. 17 is the going rate for a non-aggravated murder as I understand it.

Luke90210 t1_j0vpfd3 wrote

It sounds bad, but he is going to do his time with other violent criminals, not with the guys doing simple credit card fraud.

ioioioshi t1_j0uev2c wrote

“Mr. Perez was not charged with committing a hate crime. Such a charge often requires explicit evidence of a racial slur or other clear type of bias.”

What’s the point of hate crime legislation if it’s so difficult to prove?

Luke90210 t1_j0vpw8k wrote

Some of these people posted hate crime level rants on social media or talked too much in front of witnesses willing to testify or just have a provable history. Seems this guy did not reach that level of stupidity.

RedditVirgin555 t1_j1ge0aq wrote

They're very good at deploying hate crime legislation against black people, though.

BonerTurds t1_j0vkq50 wrote

Because there are many cases where the evidence exists and the hate crime charge is added. You want people to be hit with additional charges without evidence?

−9

OopsMadeYouDie t1_j0u6ckc wrote

Just imagine. You living your life just like any regular day and for someone to cause you physical harm just because they believe they are entitled to. What a nightmare

winstonpartell t1_j0yahyg wrote

anyone knows how it transpired ? why'd he do it ?

ioioioshi t1_j0zuipr wrote

It was totally random. Probably mad at her for existing and being Asian

winstonpartell t1_j0zvdt6 wrote

I learned a bit more.

• it happened just one block from the Junction Blvd #7 station.
  • Guy is homeless and was "napping" around the site. Claimed she "disturbed" him.

ioioioshi t1_j10ctrt wrote

She was sweeping the sidewalk. If anything she was trying to improve the condition of the neighborhood