Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chusmeria t1_j0hpfo6 wrote

> By that same argument, it's overreach of the city - did the people vote for it? I don't remember it ever being on a ballot. City making that decision for its people would also be overreach.

America is a representative democracy, not a direct democracy. Nothing you said makes any sense if you understand how American (and New York City) politics works.

lotsofdeadkittens t1_j0khbhj wrote

representative democracy have checks and balances to stop "tyranny"," ie. local unelected officials or just officials from other districts going against constitutions and non-representative chouices that voters did not vote on. No one voted for city council expecting them to start banning nYS agriculture. This is how representative democracy works. since voters dont vote on every policy present there needs to be a checking system for the sake of avoiding minority law changes being passed

arsenalfc1987 t1_j0hzyyi wrote

Unelected health commissioners have too much power

−4

chusmeria t1_j0i1ebh wrote

The city council created it. Don't make up random shit. Christ, fuckin liars and idiots responding to me: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/new-york-city-bans-the-sale-of-foie-gras-will-punish-businesses-offering-food-from-force-fed-animals/

> "We want to be a city that is judged of course about how we treat our fellow people, but also we want to be judged by how we treat animals and the evolution of how we come to care for animals," City Council Speaker Corey Johnson said.

> The council also overwhelmingly passed the Carriage Horse Heat Relief Act, keeping horses from working when temperatures go above 90.