Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CrumpledForeskin t1_j3ivnp8 wrote

Median income and livable proper wages are different. Renting your whole life isn’t livable. Sure you can do it. But are you comfortable knowing that you can lose your home at any point?

I feel bad for folks who are in that position. I’m in that position for now.

Pay people correctly. Not a wage that gets them to and from work.

Amarger86 t1_j3j1m1d wrote

If people didn't blow all their extra disposable income on a new phone every 6 months, 10+ different monthly subscription services, eating out or getting delivery 4-5 nights a week or buying a coffee everyday, etc and saved a good chunk of that money, you'd realize most people actually make plenty of money. But they waste it on stupid stuff instead of saving that money up and buying a home. The average American makes around 40k a year. I make 36k, pay 1200 in rent for my 1 bedroom by myself and still have plenty of money. If someone making nearly twice that isnt considered "livable", then idk what is. If they just saved that difference (30-40k), in 10 years they would be free and clear paid off on a starter home (300-400k).

−2

CrumpledForeskin t1_j3jahx2 wrote

Lol yeah it’s all the new phones and delivery that keep the middle class broke. SMH

More than 1/3rd of your money goes to something you don’t own. The other 3rd to taxes. You’re living paycheck to paycheck and mad at people for using seamless. Wake up.

Amarger86 t1_j3jgice wrote

What "keeps the middle class broke" as you call this is people's inability to properly manage their own finances, unable to live within their means. My examples were just some small items that most people take for granted yet if you actually extrapolate them out over a year and then add up all these tiny luxury expenses, you easily start seeing it adds up to a decent chunk of their yearly income.

A simple example is someone who has to get a coffee at a coffee stand every workday. Let's say you spend $4 a day on this, thats $20 a week or $1000 a year... for coffee. Delivery food, thats another $4 plus tipping thats another $4. So $3000 a year just for those 3 simple things. Now obviously thats just rough numbers assuming someone does that everyday but its meant to drive home a point, people waste their money without realizing it.

People need to take accountability for their own spending habits first before blaming lack of pay. I don't care where in the US you live, if you are making over 50k a year and having trouble getting by, then you need to look at yourself and your decisions first. Debt, kids, any other reasons people use, all are based off decisions you made in the past which you should have thought through the consequences more. If one lives within their means, you never have this issue and you can eventually better your situation through hardwork and sacrifice (ie saving up money instead of taking that trip to the Bahamas for 3k). But all I hear now adays is entitlement and blaming everyone but themselves.

−3

CrumpledForeskin t1_j3jh4wo wrote

When was the last time you went on a vacation? 36k isn’t enough to own a house or put money away to retire. Yet you blame people. 2 people in this country have more money than 25% of the population and you blame me for ordering seamless.

Not everyone wants to sit at home watching anime my man.

Amarger86 t1_j3jlogr wrote

I have over 100k in my 401k and I'm in my mid 30s so retirement is totally fine and well on pace, got 20k in my bank account, bought my car new a couple years back outright so don't have to buy another for over 20 years... all on my 36k a year living by myself since I was 21 (actually less as most of the time I was making 25-30k before COL increases and raises) and its not like I don't spend money, I just am more thoughtful like I rarely eat out and would rather make the same thing at home for half the price. If I was making 50k, I'd easily have enough to own a house within 10 years (with a mortgage obviously which I would pay off early).

Thats great other people value taking vacations that cost chunks of money, thats is THEIR CHOICE how to spend their money but they also had the choice to not go and save it if they really wanted a house. Sometimes in life you can't have both options and whatever choice you make you have to live with. You picked your profession, picked where you live, what you buy, what hobbies you have, whether to have kids or not, everything involving what you make and how you live is all your choice so stop blaming the outcomes of all these on others and start looking at what you can control.

CrumpledForeskin t1_j3jqedo wrote

Making the same wage for more than a decade and your yelling about success. You don’t have a family so you’re able to do all those things. That’s not a fair example of what other people expect out of life. Sitting inside watching cartoons isn’t what folks expect to do or get out of life. You’re an outlier in the data. You’re not the norm. You can’t expect everyone to stay inside in order to live their lives. I’m sorry but it’s not an acceptable example. Good on you for financial independence but most folks can’t live on that. Also not getting a raise in 10-15 years. Wtf?

If you wanted kids and had a stay at home SO who worked part time. 36k wouldn’t cut it. So smugly saying “I don’t use seamless. I stay inside and save my money” is a shit example.

Amarger86 t1_j3juxzr wrote

Now I know you aren't actually reading what I'm writing but just picking and choosing what you want to see as I clearly said that I was making less before col AND RAISES (and youre assuming I've worked at the same place the whole time). You dont even understand basic math and finances as 25k to 36k is a 50% increase in pay yet you think I'm making the same exact money (sometimes you only get like a 25-50 cent raise in a year which only equals $500-1000 a year, welcome to the life of a front line worker, the people which people like you look down on yet act like you are the champion for). Good luck with yourself as I'm tired of saying the same thing over and over and you completely ignoring what I've said. I already addressed everything you just posted and can go back and read for my reply.

Make better choices or live with the consequences.

CrumpledForeskin t1_j3k17e2 wrote

Lol man. Idk what to tell you. You can’t have a family on 36k. That’s the point. That’s what you’re missing. If you wanna have a life where you’re worried all the time and 1/3rd of your money goes to a landlord so be it. Other folks don’t want that. The majority of the country doesn’t want that. They wanna have a family. You can’t have a family in NYC for 36k and not be cutting corners everywhere.

You missed my point. You projected.

Amarger86 t1_j3kh2tp wrote

Thats what I am talking about, I never said anyone could or should afford a family on 36k yet you're assuming I'm saying that, you just keep strawmaning everything I say. Ive just been saying the world owes you nothing and you got to live within your means and make sacrifices in some areas if you want success in others. You portray this idea of a family life you seem entitled to and the world owes it to you but thats not how the world works. You want a home, stay at home SO, kids, then it is on YOU to go EARN a job to support that lifestyle. And if you can't get that job with enough income, then you are going to have to cut corners and sacrifice or change your plans, whether you like it or not. Hence why I brought up the coffee example, if you're lifestyle (whatever it may be) is not meeting your income (strapped for cash) your lifestyle is the problem, especially since we were originally talking about people making 60-70k which I don't care where youre at, a small family could easily live off of that and not live pay check to pay check. And for some odd reason you need more cash, we'll I guess the SO will need to make a sacrifice and get a job too.

−1

CrumpledForeskin t1_j3lz14p wrote

Dude I make enough to have the life I want. I worked hard to get it. Im beyond just barley 6 figures.

I’m advocating that people be paid more. 75k is not enough for a family of 4 to live in NYC and own anything. Go on a vacation once a year and eventually leave the city. It’s a miserable lifestyle that leaves you at the whims of too many problems. You say “that’s life suck it up” I say “people should be paid more so they’re not living hand to mouth.”

I feel bad about the way you look at humanity. But you sit at home watching cartoons thinking everyone else spends too much on their phones. I forget….you don’t live in the real world. You live in propagandatown. Everyone’s broke because of seamless and not wealth inequality. Right.

Anyway. Enjoy being pigeonholed by your own fantasies.

I used to make what you made. I made that wage for year and years. I know that life. No going away with friends. No ability to randomly purchase a gift for an SO cause you don’t have the money. One medical bill and you’re fucked. I was there. Now it’s my yearly bonus. I know both worlds and one causes you stress and death in early age. I don’t want that for my fellow citizens. One day when you may too. It involves getting involved with society though and not letting it pass you by while yelling at others for enjoying literally the bare enjoyments their wage allows.

[deleted] t1_j3kloxo wrote

[deleted]

Amarger86 t1_j3kn22k wrote

Go search Zillow, they're there. I never said anything about it being an amazing house, youll have to fix it up or have a longer commute or not the best area.