Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Infused_Hippie t1_j5o5myh wrote

Hi! I know the head of the parks department for nyc and personally am on a board for the new skate park being built eventually under the expressway. There is allocated funds for lights on the other ones but it’s behind the projects that they haven’t broke ground on yet. The reason why to they took them away in the 90s was to prevent a lot of activity in night at these places. I’ve seen fights, bikes stolen, boards stolen. Just in les and a few others at night alone. So, if you’re wondering why it’s because a lot of teens, young adults travel in groups and cause problems. That’s not to say there’s not a lot of great skaters practicing but there is a lot of crime even with it being on light. They even damn near almost beat up jaden smith when practicing for that 90s movie and jaden said something like “ya they went to punch me and missed and said oh shit it’s jaden smith) if that helps for better understanding. I used to work at zumiez and have watched these groups personally try to grab 20+ boards and other things so I can’t imagine what an every day is like for the bunny heads. Heartbreaking.

Edit you’re looking at the lights for 2025+