Submitted by soccergamer333 t3_11ej8a2 in personalfinance

Some background on myself: I'm 24, live in NYC, make a bit over $100k pre-tax and my credit score is 770. Most of my monthly spend is on groceries and restaurants.

A few months ago, the Unlimited Cash Rewards Visa Platinum Plus from BofA that I opened in March 2022 was automatically unsecured and my credit limit was increased from $1,000 to $3,000. This was my first ever credit card and I'm getting 1.5% cash back on all purchases. I'm now going into my second year of full-time work after college and am considering opening another credit card that has more benefits. I'm required to pay my rent via check, but don't plan on opening BILT card. If I get an Amex, I'd be the only person in my family with it, so I could expect additional travel/hotel benefits for these occasions. I don't plan on doing a ton of personal travel, but having the ability to get rewards for Delta and Marriott Bonvoy would be nice.

After some research I'm torn between (1) Amex Gold, (2) Capitol One SavorOne, and (3) Citi Premier for my second credit card. Any thoughts?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TwstdSista t1_jaefdt5 wrote

I would avoid Citi anything - they freeze accounts and withhold money, and they constantly lock me out of my online view for my credit card. I finally gave up and am cancelling the card. irreputable dirtbags.

I'm happy with my CapitalOne card.

omdongi t1_jaehjfr wrote

Amex Gold will have the best benefits and highest annual fee but it's an Amex so it's less frequently accepted by merchants.

The Savor is a nice safe, relatively boring card. I'd ask on r/creditcards or r/churning too

soccergamer333 OP t1_jaes39d wrote

Thanks for the advice and recommending r/CreditCard and r/churning , will ask on those too.

CactusBoyScout t1_jaehtre wrote

The subreddit r/churning is specifically for maximizing credit card rewards and they have a thread where you can ask for card recommendations.

They also have a flow chart that shows best sign up bonus offers depending on what you’re interested in (travel, perks, cash back).

If you’re interested in Delta or Marriott then I’d check sites like DoctorOfCredit to see what higher sign up offers are currently available. I got the Delta Gold Amex with 90k points not that long ago which was pretty good but they fluctuate often.

Sign up offers are a huge part of the return on getting one of these cards so it’s worth researching those.