Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

micha8st t1_ja60t06 wrote

in my case, the stock has been a ride.

I like having mathematical triggers -- I make up a formula, and it tells me when to sell.

Through Dec 2019 - Jan 2020, I sold... I think it was 9 lots, at an ever increasing price. The formula would give me a next price to sell at relative to the previous price.

My employer's stock went up December 2019 - March 2020...then when the bottom fell out of the market in later March 2020, it dropped to about half where I sold my first lot of vested RSUs. By October 2020, the stock was to price where I'd stopped selling in january. It kept, generally, going up, and peaked early december '21 at double where I sold my first lot. Then it's dropped. My formula tells me I should sell my next lot at 100.37, but it ended the day Friday at 78.05.

Now... why did I stop? Both times because the total value reached my goal -- the sales brought the total value of employer stock below my target.

In your case, I suggest setting a target -- say 10% of your net worth -- and slowly pare back your vested-RSU holdings down to that level. Further, I'd see if I can't come up with some pairings that make sense to roughly where stock is selling...say +/- 10%.