Submitted by passamaquedey t3_11dj5eo in personalfinance

I graduated college in May 2022 I have about 31k in student loans. In November I got a job with a salary of 60k, I currently live with my parents so my expenses are pretty low. Currently student loan payment is paused till June 2023, and I’m not sure if I will qualify for student loan forgiveness if it gets passed through. What is the best approach for paying off my student loans.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

84740296169 t1_ja8x7p1 wrote

Depends on the Interest Rate of the Loans.

passamaquedey OP t1_ja8xv7t wrote

I have 9 total loans they interest varies between 3-5% depending on the loan.

Stock-Freedom t1_ja8xl2u wrote

Yes, if they are high or medium interest loans.

Follow the flowchart.

My generic advice:

https://i.imgur.com/lSoUQr2.png

Here is the flowchart from the r/personalfinance subreddit’s Prime Directive. If you follow that, you will be ahead of almost all of your peers.

Stop by the sidebar to see the Common Topics, which include basic money handling and investing.

You don’t need to talk to anyone or buy some random book to do this. You have all the tools right here.

GeorgeRetire t1_ja917rs wrote

>What is the best approach for paying off my student loans.

Once the pause ends, pay off the highest rate debt first, while paying the minimum on all others.

passamaquedey OP t1_ja92diq wrote

So I shouldn’t make any payments before the pause ends?

swb1003 t1_ja9gat7 wrote

God no, if they’re in deferment. Wait and see what happens first, save the cash now and then make payments once they start. Why spend money now if nobody’s asking for it, it’s not accruing interest, and there’s no penalty for not paying?

Edit to add that I am but a layperson with one student loan left in deferment and this is my approach. Ymmv

GeorgeRetire t1_jaalx6b wrote

Why pay something today, when it costs you nothing to wait?

Just make sure you have the money when the time comes.

passamaquedey OP t1_jaap7ne wrote

My line of thinking is since interest isn’t growing right now it’s best to pay it down as much as possible right now before payments restart so it’s less in the long run.

GeorgeRetire t1_jad0oq4 wrote

Why not keep it in a high yield savings account, earn a little interest, then pay the debt down once actually required?

passamaquedey OP t1_jadubg7 wrote

I think I might do that I’m going to look for some savings accounts with high aprs.

ct-yankee t1_ja9nm4m wrote

If I were in your shoes I'd read the FAQ here and read the flowchart.

It depends on the rate of the loans.

I would start budgeting every dollar so I know every dollar coming and going. Understand where the money is going (want vs need). Building that muscle while you are at home will be easier and helpful for when life get more complicated when you're out on your own.