Submitted by sharkutterzero t3_xtnr66 in personalfinance

I have a working credit card but it's a largely cash society (Japan) and I just tried getting a cash advance on it with no luck. I can put the correct debit card on Google Pay, and use it digitally, but I can't use that at ATMs. I don't yet have a working phone so I was going to call the bank after I got a SIM card, but I am pretty sure they're gonna tell me I'm SOL. Is getting someone to mail me the correct card the best solution? Is there some other big adult way of getting cash?

I have a short term emergency solution, borrowing cash from a friend, but will need it on my own sooner rather than later.

Edit: thank you guys for the input. Going to call my bank when I'm able to again and ask if they can priority ship me a replacement overseas, if that doesn't work I'll see about getting a family member to global express ship it to me, and if THAT doesn't work I'll see what I can do about cash advance on my credit card. Three contingencies!

Edit 2: I finally was able to get my phone working and was able to call Schwab, they are able to mail me a new debit card to Japan, priority! Thank you for all the comments and reassurances, I wasn't expecting a ton when I panic posted to Reddit. Pickle solved!

Comments