Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Fusional_Delusional t1_iyblk0f wrote

Maybe it’s because I’m a farm kid, but this is what I say. Buying the house is a lot like buying a cow. It’s expensive up front. It has lumpy cost associated with it (new roof, new furnace are like going to the vet). It does have the benefit of “free milk” if you don’t count the costs I just mentioned. And once you’ve fed it enough hay or bred it(paid down the principal, maybe see appreciation and potentially invested in it) you can resell it for an increase in value.

At current interest rates you’re probably going to have a larger monthly payment than rent, but if you have the cash outlay, and you’re willing to share the house with someone else who is paying you rent it might be better for you. One day you’ll likely be able to refinance it to lower interest rate, and you’ll have a headache of having to deal with roommates, but it can make sense.

SmarterShelter OP t1_iyblvxs wrote

That's a good point... I'd liked the idea of renting out some of the house to offset the costs. I need to find out what I can actually qualify for, to see if I can get an extra bedroom or two.