Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

maerabug t1_j2eogoa wrote

In case someone didn't already say it, are those monthly payments just P&I (principle and interest), or do they include escrow too? Make sure to include insurance and property taxes in your budgeting.

I am also siding with the folks that say your job is too new to feel safe signing a mortgage yet. But, if you feel confident in replacing this job quickly with one that pays enough to cover the home costs, then go for it.

killaho69 OP t1_j2eva7g wrote

That's inclusive of property tax, PMI, home insurance, etc.

My old job has trouble filling positions because they pay a little below private sector and the old fuddy leadership doesn't like remote work. As such, my old position and countless others are sitting open, even all these months later. I feel like in the worst case scenario, I could likely get rehired, but I'd be more in the 75k-80k range than 95k, though they even have a cybersecurity position they can't fill that pays about 100k, but that 5k isn't worth 4 days in office to me right now.

The main thing is I'll just have to live tight and keep saving/building funds to be a safety net until I get a few raises or bonuses in. But living tight will be easy compared to the mental suffering of being 34m living at home.