Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j25k7y1 wrote

Have you even visited this place in person? That would take me from 99.999% sure it's a scam to about 98%, but I don't like this at all.

foxxytroxxy OP t1_j25wewr wrote

I've looked into the websites and I can cancel all of the subscriptions, which I'm doing right now. They're all "free trial" sort of sites with the first payment being $1, then a $30 monthly subscription.

I thought it might be a scam as well, but that's something about Hawaii is a lot of people set up rentals kind of precariously. I had thought it was just a verification strategy so that dude didn't have to pay for it. I looked up the websites and everywhere says that they are legitimate, though.

Anyway I'm not trying this guy anymore, it does seem kind of sketchy

[deleted] t1_j26gme1 wrote

This is 100% a scam and this dude probably just made a couple hundred dollars from all your free trial sign ups

"Cost per action marketing" isn't as popular as it used to be, and they've had to get more creative, but this is a good way to do it and the credit report people still pay wild money for each sign up. Even for free trials.

I figured this was a scam anyway - I didn't see this one coming. Next time, don't do ANYTHING until you see the place in person.

foxxytroxxy OP t1_j27gwam wrote

But he made the money from the companies, or from me? The "free trial" thing made me think I just had to cancel the subscriptions. I'm alright with the lost time, just hoping I didn't lose my money. I think one of the things said it was a dollar at signup. Hopefully *I* didn't lose all that money?

And, thanks. Duly noted. Will not do in the future.