Submitted by inmybubble36 t3_10oh406 in personalfinance

As the subject says, I am using H&R Block to file my taxes and am filing a Form 1099-Int for the first time. I keep getting an error that says “Form1099Int AccountNumber must not be longer than 30.”, but there’s nothing on the form that is longer than 30 characters (which is what I assume that error means?). The only numbers, other than the dollar amount, are the bank’s federal tax ID (9 characters) and the State identification number (11 characters), both came directly off of the 1099-Int. Has anyone else encountered this? I’m using the free version and can’t ask H&R Block unless I want to pay $40.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Loutro-Fift t1_j6emnxc wrote

Don’t use HR Block. Worst “tax” service ever

TrainFan t1_j6g6fqw wrote

Why?

Loutro-Fift t1_j6geg5n wrote

Had a friend who worked there. They were told to not be concerned about accuracy. Just get the returns done and paid for. HR has a huge liability policy, if they make a mistake on a return, the lawyers take care of it

nozzery t1_j6eltp6 wrote

Go to OLT.com, fill in your info, free Fed $9.95 state, most importantly, FREE support.

vynm2 t1_j6eo6kr wrote

When you enter a 1099-INT, the only info you need to include is the payer's name (typically the name of your bank) and the amount of interest they paid you (and any other values that are $ amounts if it's not a 1099-INT from a bank). You typically don't need to include federal or state ID numbers.

inmybubble36 OP t1_j6eqpb5 wrote

It must have at least the state ID, it gives me a big red error when I try to move on without that one lol. I think I’m moving to Turbo Tax.

vynm2 t1_j6fh08r wrote

Try a different software, but I would NOT recommend TurboTax. They're a bit of a smarmy company and have been in trouble more than once for leading people to believe they can file their return for free, and then telling them after they've entered all or most of their info that they have to pay to file-- sometimes when they could have declined paying and still filed for free.

leadfoot9 t1_j6er46u wrote

Reporting interest income is one of the easiest parts of filing a tax return after basic wage income, and I relish the idea that HR Block is charging people money to complicate the process.

inmybubble36 OP t1_j6erd99 wrote

Can confirm - I moved over to Turbo Tax, entered the exact same information, and they’re accepting it just fine. 🤷🏼‍♀️