Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

My_soliloquy t1_j6moe4v wrote

Yes, just went thru this. Used the person who hit me's insurance to file the claim after talking with my insurance. My 'no claims' bonus would have gone away if I used my insurance and I also have a high deductible and no rental coverage. Their insurace covered a rental for over a month while my 'minor' rear bumper was fixed (that also turned into replacing the rear trunk lid that was cracked). I used my states insurance reporting/claims website to get them moving when their adjuster was slow taking the claim. Still waiting on the 'diminished value' aspect of my loss.

SereneFrost72 OP t1_j6n610w wrote

Thank you so much for sharing your experience here. I’m really hoping I don’t have to go through my insurance if it means an increase in my premiums. Conceptually, it seems so counterintuitive that someone backing into my car could lead to an increase in my own insurance rate 🙄

My_soliloquy t1_j6nw1sm wrote

Yep, some of the advice here isnt. My insurance even suggested using their insurance because of the coverages I had. I would only use my own insurance if it was underinsured or someone who didn't have insurance. Work with the other insurance, only if they don't help you, is when you use your insurance.

SereneFrost72 OP t1_j6nxkrd wrote

I was quite surprised at how many people said to not communicate at all with the other insurance company and to direct them to my insurance company. I'm not sure I'd trust 2 external parties to coordinate with each other on my behalf in a timely manner, let alone 1 external party. Just seems like I'd be making it very difficult to resolve things if I just refused to talk to the other person's insurance