Submitted by RC10B5M t3_10l0ll3 in personalfinance

My wife's best friend of 45 years recently passed away. Due to some internal issues with her friend's family, she changed her will and left her house to my wife. We have no idea the status of the mortgage on the house or if there is even a mortgage. I really have no idea how this is going to play out with my wife getting the house. Can anyone shed some light on how this all works? I know this is really an opened ended question but I really have no idea how this is going to work.

Thanks

​

Update: Thanks everyone for the advice.

Little more information about the situation. We live in the northeast of the US; wife's best friend was in Texas. She was never married and never had children. We're really in the dark about the details of the will and executor. It was just never something my wife talked with her about because honestly, she never assumed she was getting anything of value, perhaps just some personal affects but that's about it. Her friend asked her 3-4 months ago if she would want the house, my wife said that was fine if that's what she wanted to do. About a month ago her friend confirmed she updated her will and named my wife as the recipient of the house.

Long story short, there's a sister-in-law involved in this that has been literally waiting for her to die to get her hands on her house and money. The will was updated to direct anything of value away from this woman.

Comments