Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ADFC t1_j6tuwll wrote

Rohm & Haas sat further back by the bridesburg boys and clubs club and was demolished in the late 2000s.

Kronos6948 t1_j6tz7t4 wrote

I haven't lived in Bridesburg since the late 90's...I didn't know they knocked it down and rebuilt it.

ADFC t1_j6u7hdd wrote

This is a separate facility owned by a few companies then Sunoco, then Honeywell, which then spun off into what is now AdvanSix. It's the one immediately adjacent to 95. This plant has been producing phoenol since the 50s and is actually one of the largest phenol producing facilities in the country.

Rohm & Haas sat more back towards the mouth of old Frankford creek on the Delaware and was even more massive. This plant closed in 2009 and the location is currently used to store vehicles. A NY-based developer bought the plot in 2020 but haven't seen any updates since. I used to always mix these up myself.

Not much left of Philly's rich chemical past.

Sagemasterba t1_j6ujndj wrote

It also has the world's largest cumene oxidizer. Whatever that is. The others kept blowing up lol. That phenol is nasty stuff, it gives permanent scarring burns that make you look like Drax the Destroyer. The in-house guys take these scars almost as an initiation. I swear there are just puddles of leaking benzene all over the place, to the point you need full B gear just to be in the plant. They also have a 0 lightning stand down policy. If I can afford a packet of Ramen I won't take a job in that place.