Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SuspiciousOnion2137 t1_jaeirkw wrote

My husband is a UC Berkeley grad who works in technology and he says that Silicon Valley wouldn’t have seemed like a natural fit for start-ups in the early days either. Apparently, what it had going for it was being close enough to SF to attract a lot of Stanford and Berkeley graduates and inexpensive land for building fabrication plants. The Philly metro area has some great schools that churn out a lot of graduates, is conveniently located on the I95 corridor, has an airport with direct routes to major international hubs, and each funding round can probably last longer due to the lower rents and cost of living compared to other major cities.

phlwhyamihere t1_jaelgiy wrote

Possibly, I work in tech as well and am living in Philly working remotely while my partner finishes grad school and just don’t see it personally but I might be wrong! Philly is just a tough sell to a lot of tech workers, and really only UPenn would feed into tech.

phlwhyamihere t1_jaewk4g wrote

u/animadeup no shot would drexel be a feeder into any of the high flying tech startups, the tech world is just too silo'd and elitist right now. not saying that won't change, but as of now, just wouldn't happen

−1