Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

phillybeardo t1_j9waaoa wrote

I rarely frequented this spot. Seems like it was definitely catered more to a different type of clientele than I'm used to. But, I do have a memorable moment...

It was NYE maybe about a decade ago, and my live electronic duo was booked for two sets as part of the entertainment for the night. But, whoever booked us described us as "live DJs", which we definitely aren't (we use synths and beat machines and samplers.... more like live loopers/producers instead of DJs). Anyway, it was an open bar type party, so management was probably expecting a DJ to keep the vibes up for the night. And then, we set up with our crazy rig... many flashing pieces of equipment... and did our (very weird) thing for the first set.

Now, we definitely piqued the interest of some in the crowd. They were curious about our gear and our technique and all. But the manager/owner? He was NOT feeling it. I mean, he was probably expecting a DJ to play the hits, right? So, he approaches us during set break and was completely honest with us (and very professional, actually), told us that we weren't what he was expecting and asked us not to do the second set, but still kept to the contract (free drinks all night, plus our pay).

It was the first (and only) time in my music "career" where I've been cut short, so, a little embarrassing. All the same, we got paid to do half the work, and got drunk off some pretty heady beers, so not the worst night, and not the worst memory!