Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JBizznass t1_j9hbh2l wrote

Yup. It’s great to live in peace but be able to get public transportation to make money.

−11

Ng3me t1_j9hk2n2 wrote

Public transit without the public.

ItsAlwaysSmokyInReno t1_j9jjg3z wrote

You’re what’s wrong with American cities

JBizznass t1_j9jx44e wrote

How so? Is what’s wrong about American cities really people who want to live in quite safe suburban neighborhoods but who pay a fuck ton in taxes to the nearby city they work in? Is what’s wrong with American cities people who want east access to take public transportation from their home to their office? I personally would put these things pretty far down on the list of what wrong with American cities. But maybe we just don’t have the same priorities.

−3

ItsAlwaysSmokyInReno t1_j9jxod2 wrote

You want to live in the suburbs? That’s fine but you can’t expect public transport to be provided to you.

But you do, and due to capital flight you have more money than the people in the inner city. So you demand that light rail lines be provided to you. And you’re prioritized over the lower class people in the city who actually need public transport.

And then we end up with terrible cities with no intra-city connectivity because all the subway lines prioritize bringing people in from the suburbs and dumping them downtown.

Fuck the millions more people who actually live within the city right?

JBizznass t1_j9p2qv9 wrote

Isn’t the solution more public transit for everyone, not reallocation of public transit to serve a different limited population? I for one would love to see more money responsibly spent on public transportation so that even more people could have access. Higher state gas tax to fund it? Sounds good to me. Or something like NY where if you own a business in a county services by public transit there is a yearly public transit tax. Also a great idea (and something I would have to pay). Why focus on taking away instead of adding on? Especially for something like public transit that is truly beneficial to everyone (even if you don’t take it) in many ways.

Furthermore, not everyone who lives in the burbs is rich. Those same lines that service wealthier burbs also service less well to do areas like norristown, Camden, and lots of working class Delco neighborhoods. They also take workers to their jobs in those wealthier neighborhoods that otherwise wouldn’t have access to those jobs.