Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheNightmareOfHair t1_j9ky7mk wrote

I've been to two of these events (4 candidates), and my observation is that Nutter has consistently been leaning into a "tough guy asking tough questions" vibe. He likes his "lightning rounds," even though it's obviously ridiculous to expect an illuminating answer to "All-time most/greatest/worst ___" in 30 seconds. IMO his treatment of Rhynhart ("Some people are saying you aren't tough enough for this job; are you tough enough for this job?") did as much of a disservice to her as his treatment of Gym ("How are you not a hypocrite?"), just in a different way.

What this article doesn't mention is that early on in her interview (in response to a question from the first interviewer, I think), Gym straight-up accused the last several mayors of either completely ignoring or actively working to undermine public education. You can see why that might have raised Nutter's hackles. I am torn between appreciating Gym for being willing to stick her neck out and say what she believes (I think too many politicians follow the path of least resistance to [re-]election), and feeling like it shows really bad judgment to pick a fight with one of your interviewers.

On the flip side, as others here have already said, Nutter had the opportunity to be the adult in the room and focus on doing his job -- interviewing the candidate for our collective edification -- instead of defending his record. He chose to defend his record.

It was also kind of a dick move for him to ask Gym about a specific bill in a public forum (he loves leading with the bill number, which I think is just another tactic to make them sweat), and then cut her off when she tried to (very briefly) characterize that bill. No one cares whether you understand the bill, Nutter; the real audience is the other 250 people sitting here. Gym pushed back firmly on that and was right to do so.

ConfiaEnElProceso t1_j9lbbzt wrote

Agreed on Nutter relishing his role as the tough interviewer after a bunch of softballs lazed up there by the other interviewers. It almost makes me wonder if they asked the other interviewers not to push the candidates on anything, but leave it to Nutter.

I mean, I haven't been back in Philly long enough to remember the Nutter administration, but from what I read, Gym has been a thorn in his side going back at least a decade. I don't get the impression that either of them needed to say anything to raise the hackles of the other. They seem to have real long-standing animosity. They didn't shake hands or interact at all on stage afterwards either (as far as I could see)

I don't think asking a candidate to defend a controversial vote or policy is a dick move at all. He did the exact same thing with Parker and the residency requirement. It was unfair not to allow her to give context to the audience. And the Union league quip seemed like much more of a low-blow, when it could have been asked in a thoughtful yet critical way.

TheNightmareOfHair t1_j9lcz27 wrote

Right, to clarify, I was saying was that the dick move was cutting her off when she tried to say anything about the bill in her answer. The question itself was a fair one and I'm disappointed that Gym dodged it.