Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mistersausage t1_ja8r6my wrote

It is allowed. Philadelphia law says that a place that is signed "no parking" you have 20 or 30 min before you can get a ticket. There are some exceptions, like you can't do this in front of a driveway (even your own driveway for 5 min while unloading groceries...got a ticket that way).

No stopping signs mean no stopping at all. No standing means you can stop to let people off, but it effectively means you can stay as long as you want so long as you are in the car.

Fattom23 t1_ja8t94n wrote

I stand corrected. That's a truly horrible law; a bike lane is not at all safe if you have to leave it to get around cars stopped in it. That's how that 3 year old in Chicago got killed.

mistersausage t1_ja9aln4 wrote

It's 20 min not 30. Section 12-913-1-c-2 https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/philadelphia/latest/philadelphia_pa/0-0-0-285267

Well right after it says you can't park in a designated bicycle lane, but if there are no parking signs at the bike lane, who knows whether b or c applies. That's probably the confusion.

Fattom23 t1_ja9k78n wrote

But it also seems that parking, stopping and standing are separate legal concepts and the statute only prohibits parking there. I rarely see someone park, shut off the engine and then leave the car in a bike lane. So most have them haven't technically "parked".

mistersausage t1_jaajvqp wrote

If parking is allowed, standing and stopping are also always allowed. Parking is a superset.

ParallelPeterParker t1_ja8xi1p wrote

TIL

Just to add, I wonder how many average philadelphians (or pennsylvanians) understand that verbiage?