Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

uni-student-2020 t1_j8dnyey wrote

I’m planning on moving to Philly sometime in May and will be in the city toward the end of March to tour apartments and sign a lease.

What would you suggest I look for when considering apartments that’s usually overlooked and could save me headache down the road?

DoGreat_DieGood t1_j8dqgv0 wrote

Insulation! Distance to groceries. Coffee shops/parks for when you need to get out of the house. How much trash is on your block on any given day. But most importantly, insulation.

blinchik2020 t1_j8evjuh wrote

Have a friend that had a 400 dollar heating bill for a 600 square foot apartment… right on on insulation!

DoGreat_DieGood t1_j8eywuz wrote

Rented a cheap $450 bedroom in a huge 6bd 2ba West Philly house, gorgeous architecture and amazing location. But it was old and drafty and utilities almost touched $150 per person in the summer/winter lol.. Now I'm super wary of unfinished basements and shoddy doors that lead to the backyard.

demography_llama t1_j8dquw7 wrote

Visit the blocks around your apartments of interest during the day and at night (after 10pm if possible).

decentchinesefood t1_j8e3go5 wrote

Done a lot of leasing. Like, a LOT.

My biggest tip: how an apartment looks when you're touring it is what you're going to get on move-in day.

Is it the perfect place, but the paint is chipping, the tub is moldy, and the door handle doesn't click properly? Then it's not the perfect place. Because if that's how the owner leaves the unit to be marketed, you can guarantee that when you show up, bright and happy to move into your new apartment, it's going to look like that.

Oh, and don't believe them when they promise they'll clean it all up / take care of it. Just find a difference place that will actually treat you like a tenant. There are lots of 'em!

Don't get me wrong, you are required to have working appliances, working heat, etc. That stuff will be in tact. It's those small updates/details that won't change between your showing and your move-in.

UndercoverPhilly t1_j8dqgld wrote

Whatever you do, don't get an apartment with electric baseboard heating, especially if it's an old building. They were built with large windows and before electricity in some cases. Your electric bill will be over $200 dollars per month in the winter with that type of heating. Or if you do, be aware that you may be paying over $200 per month for electricity in the winter and budget accordingly.

You also need to be ready to pay on the spot. Depending on your price point the competition is fierce for apartments. If you are going to pay $2000 plus for a studio or 1 bedroom, though, probably you don't need to worry, as there are lots of them and less competition at that price point. If you want anything under $2000, you can't wait. This happened to me in 2014, long before the pandemic and the apartment bidding. I looked at some 30 apartments and the ones I liked, I waited a day or two and they were gone. I finally got my current apartment by giving them a check for the security deposit when they showed it to me, to hold it.