Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UndercoverPhilly t1_j8nnxvn wrote

For me, Bella Vista and Grad Hospital are not South Philly. Maybe they used to be--but I think there's a definite boundary now with Washington Avenue. Hawthorne is Bella Vista and not sure what Whitman is! Where is it?

ColdJay64 t1_j8o1up5 wrote

I thought South Street and down was considered South Philly? And Whitman is bounded on the west by Sixth Street, on the east by Front Street, on the south by Bigler Street, and on the north by Snyder Avenue.

UndercoverPhilly t1_j8o9g0r wrote

I think historically it has been, but for me, there is a really different feel when you cross over Washington Avenue. Also considering how expensive Bella Vista is, and the construction of some high rises in the past 10 years, it is not the same as it was. I lived in Bella Vista over 15 years ago, and although I still like it a lot, it's more like a bridge between Center City and South Philadelphia, IMO. And when people say South Philly, I don't think most are including Grad Hospital or Bella Vista, both which have been gentrified significantly. But whatever you want to call it, Bella Vista is nice, and I'd live there in a minute if I could afford it.