Pressure.

We going from 20 to 70 to 20

Days like today make my bowls hurt too.

CharlieKelly_Esq t1_j9of27x wrote

Is that your balls or your bowels or both

hockeystuff77 t1_j9op0n7 wrote

Bowls. My China is in agony

YoungMuppet t1_j9opw6l wrote

Probably because of the strict COVID lockdowns that were in place. Sorry for your homeland.

−47

PassyunkHoagie t1_j9ok85j wrote

I’m completely ignorant when it comes to meteorology. Can you explain the correlation between the temp change and atmospheric pressure and breathing problems?

Lyeta1_1 t1_j9olt3n wrote

Preface: not a doctor. Just someone with fucked up sinus anatomy.

Your sinuses, the empty-ish spaces in your head have release valves (it's not really a valve, but an opening with membranes lining it, but anyway). On some people these openings are functional, they don't get swollen, their anatomy is proper so they they aren't blocked by other parts of your nasal anatomy, they don't have polyps or a deviated septum. Those folks probably rarely feel changes from pressure maybe other than in an airplane because the system is pretty open and pressure can't build because air is 'stuck'.

For those of us with shitty sinus anatomy, deviated septums, allergies, this closes those release valves. So there's just air trapped in your sinuses. The pressure changes, the amount of space that air takes up feels different. And since it's pressing on tissue, bone, face stuff, it hurts. This causes irritation, which causes swelling, which puts you in a horrible feedback loop of stuffiness and pain.

I cannot currently hear out of my right ear because there is so much pressure built up in there.

mistersausage t1_j9pr63t wrote

Endoscopic sinus surgery is life changing fwiw

Lyeta1_1 t1_j9pvldc wrote

Had it twice! Its great! really does make an astonishing difference and I’d be much worse off if I haven’t had them. But. Apparently the right side of my face anatomy is all smushed up so there’s only so much space they can free up.

The ear is probably looking at tubes, unfortunately…

apathetic_panda t1_j9pg4ga wrote

Anatomy isn't immune from physics. This is a different flavor of the ideal gas|real gas 🚸🎈🎈 laws.

Putting peeps [the CANDY 🍬 snack] in the microwave is a pretty safe demo- or pet a frog 🐸 😉 Your call.

Thanks, I probably need somebody to check out my sternum-- it's probably still just gingivitis, but I wouldn't normally think about what indigestion actually is.

19374729 t1_j9owez0 wrote

not a doctor but anyone who studies vocals/singing can tell you your whole head is a resonant cavity. it's like if you live in a high rise and a draft from the porch causes your front door to slam shut. Great name btw

dumdadumdumAHHH t1_j9qkkdn wrote

Is that why some days I can carry a tune pretty well and others I sound like a donkey? I've always wondered!

GemLong28 t1_j9rjlwr wrote

Omg it’s my time to shine.

The relation between temperature and pressure has to do with the ideal gas law: PV = nRT Where P is pressure, V is volume, n is moles of gas present, R is a constant, and T is temperature.

From this equation, we can see Pressure and Temperature are inherently related. If all else is the same (e.g. volume doesn’t change and the moles of gas don’t change) when pressure goes up, temperature follows suit.

Pressure, in meteorological terms, you can imagine as a huge stack (of air) over your head. Think of a column of bricks on top of your head at the very point you’re standing. When pressure is low, air flows inward and up (removing bricks from your head). When pressure is high, air flows outward and down (putting more bricks on your head)

Higher pressure literally means there is more pressure on your body at that time and place you are standing. In our example, imagine more bricks on top of your head than when it’s lower pressure.

I’m not exactly sure how it relates to sinuses, but the body must be able to detect these subtle differences, and that’s why you feel different.

There are other meteorological and environmental factors possibly at play too such as inversion layers that act as blankets and “trap” pollution, warmer temps so flora and fauna react as well, triggering allergies earlier because of warmer weather.

I have a degree in meteorology which I haven’t used in a long time, so this was a fun exercise for me. Thanks!

therealsteelydan t1_j9okry1 wrote

i really need to get a barometer. but yeah, i felt weird this morning too.