Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LocalOnThe8s OP t1_jdp7v3n wrote

how the fuck do you accidentally spill shit into the waterways? you would think they would have some kind of safeguard against this. i feel bad using toilet bowl cleaner that goes into a septic system. dow gets to dump 12k gallons of latex bullshit into the river. you cant even stock trout in the neshaminy because its so bad.

edit: this spill happened at the old rohm and haas, where there is a giant park on the river bank that is now closed down because its one giant fucked superfund site. i can imagine it used to be much worse when theyd dump this shit on purpose to dispose of it.

BureaucraticHotboi t1_jdpw6i5 wrote

Remember when the gas storage field exploded in south Philly and released poisonous gas that only by the grace of god was blown out over the Atlantic. We were one stagnant day away from half of south Philly being seriously ill or dead

VanDammeJamBand t1_jdr5yym wrote

Reminds me of a few years ago when the whole city smelled like sulfur one night. Turned out a plant in NJ had released a ton of some chemical into the air that was JUST TECHNICALLY within legal parameters. Kinda blew my mind then that that was perfectly legal, and it was at least (in my understanding) less hazardous than this current situation.

jengibredia t1_jdrbzu5 wrote

They do it on purpose. It's expensive to dispose of it properly. "accidentally" spilling it makes it the governments problem and they just have to pay a fine.

acesilver1 t1_jds2yqn wrote

That’s why the government needs to fine these instances to the point of oblivion.