Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jetset1111 t1_jdvc70w wrote

We moved back up north to be closer to family from Roswell to Central Bucks a few months ago.

Pros about moving from GA to PA based on my experience:

• From a traffic/congestion standpoint, it’s nothing crazy compared to the 400/285 lane closures.
  • My husband and I always felt like ATL wasn’t as walkable as Philly. For example, we’d have to drive from PCM <> aquarium <> krog st <> battery. But with PHL, it’s much easier to just take the septa to explore Center City (Rittenhouse <> Old City <> museum district).
  • I miss the cleanliness of Hartsfield Jackson but there’s a lot more direct flights for international destinations at PHL and EWR.
  • There’s also Amtrak at 30th St. Station so you can take it directly to NY or Boston.
  • Closer to the beach! Instead of going down to 30a, we’re able to go down the shore for a day trip.
  • We also found that the property taxes are cheaper in Bucks county compared to Roswell.

Congrats on the job! PA is a great place to move to and I’ve heard great things about Montgomery County as well (which might be more suitable for your commute to the PHL)

Yondu_the_Ravager t1_jdwgr7e wrote

Thanks for such a comprehensive response! This sort of confirmed a lot of what I assumed about the area and it’s quirks.

I absolutely can feel the difference in taxes and in general cost of living between the two even just looking at house prices; the same home with the same down payment will be several hundreds of dollars more in ATL than Philly.

I really love how accessible the city is and the surrounding areas with public transportation. Me and my wife love traveling and taking short weekends, so having such large and diverse cities so close by would be fantastic.

Really we’ve been checking all the surrounding counties for houses and then calculating the distance the commute would be to my potential job. So far, we like Delaware and Montgomery county the most, but have also found some nice homes in Bucks and Chester counties.