Submitted by kcvngs76131 t3_y69hze in philadelphia

I was at the Premier League fan Fest yesterday. There were four games, so lots of people wearing all kinds of jerseys. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool... There was naturally a bit of trash talk in line waiting to get in. But every time a cowboys fan would walk by in a jersey, there was just a ripple of booing down the line.

No matter the differences we have, at least the city can completely agree on "fuck the cowboys."

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

gusmoney t1_isoi2ep wrote

To your point, it was wild seeing ppl sporting shirts for teams I hate but also wearing a Phillies cap so its like, they can't be that bad, just misguided.

kcvngs76131 OP t1_isol146 wrote

I was an Arsenal fan standing behind Man City fans. They were great people, we had some lovely chats while waiting. But we all knew we were hoping the other team would lose their respective games since Arsenal is just ahead of City on the table. I think everyone was just excited that Philly is slowly but surely embracing football/soccer. So even though we were supporting different teams, we were all there for the love of the beautiful game.

broadstreetbully72 t1_isorim0 wrote

I’m developing a passing interest in the EPL and I’m still trying to nail down a team to support. One of the teams that is in the mix is West Ham precisely because about half my Phillies gear already matches their colors.

kcvngs76131 OP t1_isoy4le wrote

Hey, that's as good a reason as any. I went to a game with a cousin when I was about 5, and I fell in love with the Gunnersaurus, and that's when Arsenal became my English team. I know someone who follows Partick Thistle in the SPFL specifically because they were gifted a shirt with Kingsley on it and it was ridiculous (seriously, everyone please look up Partick Thistle Kingsley).

What other teams are you considering?

MichaelMaugerEsq t1_ispsio2 wrote

Leeds United has a few Americans, including Brenden Aaronson, a Union academy alum. (Ignore than Leeds’ form has been terrible of late.)

porkchameleon t1_isp4zj4 wrote

> because about half my Phillies gear already matches their colors.

My friends' three year old loves Arsenal for the very same reasons - bright colors! /s

Diltron24 t1_ispvz00 wrote

It feels much more arbitrary watching soccer over here because you really just pick one to like. But if anyone talks shit on the Union their gonna get DOOPED

am19208 t1_isomtr3 wrote

I wish i could have attended but this weekend was epic for all of Philadelphia’s sports teams and fans in general. The people did an amazing job showing how passionate everyone is

kcvngs76131 OP t1_isor4j2 wrote

Hopefully with the energy everyone brought, NBC sports will do the fan fest here again in the future. I'd love it if fox sports did something similar with Bundesliga, since they're the ones with rights to air German games in the US. I hope it comes back so you get a chance to attend!

jaybay830 t1_isoxp7p wrote

Buli is on espn this year (edit which is annoying bc they don't show any games on their networks, all espn plus)

kcvngs76131 OP t1_isozuhd wrote

Ah shit, I didn't realise that. I typically use a VPN and watch with one of my German friend's accounts with their provider lol. I knew that they had it in the past, and I just assumed it was still the same

jaybay830 t1_ispar7f wrote

I'm just annoyed because espn jacked up their price and the espn app isn't supported on my TV (LG - flush mount so rather not have a roku etc... Real 1st world problems!)

lanternfly_carcass t1_isopdr0 wrote

Man city are the cowboys of the EPL.

porkchameleon t1_isp5gvq wrote

I'd say ManU in the same era, as people were bandwagonning on their success, but ManC nowadays are even worse, given what they owe quite a bit of their success to (financial fair play who?)

Rhasky t1_isplszb wrote

Who’d be the Eagles of the EPL?

TheBaconThief t1_ispolps wrote

This was probably back in 2018, but when I asked some Brit friends in NY, they said Liverpool.

Long standing loyal fanbase and major club in a city with a mix of working and middle class fans. Had some down years, but recently regained success.

Seems to fit well enough with the description with me. But I told them I was going to be Crystal Palace fan since it sounded the most like a strip club.

Diltron24 t1_ispwjsx wrote

I picked Leicester City to support for a bit because they had a very underdog gritty feel to them. I can’t pick any of the big 6 to represent the Eagles, but Liverpool probably fit the most of those teams

pcomet235 t1_isqfpom wrote

Liverpool are the second winningest club in English soccer. 20-19.

CitiBankLights t1_isr3vkb wrote

Na dude, City actually win stuff. Cowboys are more like Spurs or Man U.

TwoSixtySev3n t1_isor3sv wrote

I was there, it was so much fun. Great time and good vibe.

Waru_ t1_isqegam wrote

I’m a Giants fan and despite our rivalry, every Eagles fan I tell says “that’s ok, you’re not a cowboys fan so don’t worry”.

Angsty_Potatos t1_isqss5x wrote

Was at a show at the electric factory and one of the stage hands was wearing a Dallas jacket and the place just lit him up. I love how we all come together to boo Dallas

Fevaprold t1_isp1oml wrote

Are the Cowboys in the Premier League now?

Revolutionary_Bee700 t1_isoqkpx wrote

Side question- Why does everyone do the E A G L E S chant many times at every sport, though? Are people this proud they can spell? Like, if I’m at the damn NLDS and folks are still more focused on football. Can we support the team on the field and in the playoffs for a few hours, vs the team at the start of the regular season? I realize this is a minor pet peeve, but why not P H I L L I E S or S I X E R S or whatever?

−10

SupportPale3928 t1_ispnpo3 wrote

I feel like there’s no way you’re a Philly sports fan. You really think its about knowing how to spell? It’s the end of the Eagles Victory Song. It’s a chant/cheer, and what do almost all chants/cheers have? Some kind of spelling or counting.

The sixers song goes “1-2-3-4-5 Sixers, 10-9-8 76ers.”

“ArE pEoPlE tHiS pRoUd ThEy CaN cOuNt???”

I understand the sentiment of the rest of your comment, it bothers me when I hear it at Phils games or flyers games, but your question about it being proud to be able to spell is ridiculous.

TheBaconThief t1_ispp4ks wrote

I'm definitely an all 4 Philly fan and even organized a Eagles bar group for a few years when I lived away.

I do sort of feel like people randomly doing an Eagles chant getting off the subway to walk to the NLDS or in the 3rd Quarter of an Eagles game sort of cringe. Like, I'm used to it, but don't we have better?

Revolutionary_Bee700 t1_ispt3k2 wrote

You really took my snark to heart. “Can’t we do better for our other teams” is the sentiment.

−2

illydelphia t1_ispjdd4 wrote

Cause E A G L E S EAGLES!! Is just easier to roll off the tongue than P H I L L I E S or S I X E R S

weareallbuttcheeks t1_iso95r0 wrote

Tribalism is the best! Nothing like blind hatred for others based on the multi-millionaire athletes you were born closest to!

−118

Positron311 t1_isoby12 wrote

I'm sorry that your childhood was ruined by jock bullies.

Doesn't mean that people can't enjoy sports.

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isockjg wrote

I enjoy sports myself. "Enjoying sports" doesn't have to include hatred for fans of other teams.

−46

Charizardman22 t1_isohd2g wrote

Doesn’t have to, but it makes it a lot more fun!

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isopxo4 wrote

Hatred is fun to you?

−7

Charizardman22 t1_isor750 wrote

It’s part of the culture. Both sides know what they’re getting into it’s mutual. You never rib with friends or something?

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isotume wrote

Ribbing with friends is one thing. A crowd of people booing a stranger in public is a little different. I understand your point but not everyone who wears a Dallas jersey is asking to be booed or shit-talked.

−1

Charizardman22 t1_isozx9i wrote

They kind of are if you’re willingly wearing that in public in philly lol. Like you don’t think people who wear a cowboys jersey in PHILLY know what they’re getting into? BS man

weareallbuttcheeks t1_ispnl3b wrote

You have to ask yourself why things are that way. Does certain clothing suddenly make it okay to antagonize or attack people? Would you publicly boo someone who likes different music than you, or eats different food, or looks different? Maybe some football fans don't "know what they're getting into." Wearing a jersey shouldn't mean you're "getting into" anything.

Charizardman22 t1_isq2us8 wrote

Ngl this is a bad argument and it’s all pretty self explanatory. If you know enough about sports to wear a jersey you know what you’re getting into. You just listed a bunch of comparisons that have no relevance, comparing apples to oranges

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isqg6qc wrote

> If you know enough about sports to wear a jersey you know what you’re getting into.

That's kind of the issue. Hatred shouldn't be a part of sports.

Charizardman22 t1_isqklfg wrote

Man you really have no good argument. Have a good life man and stop taking things so seriously. I wish this was a better discussion

randym99 t1_isoitvn wrote

booing a rival team, the day you play them on your home turf, doesn't equate to hatred of other fans. this isn't some dangerous, societal problem. people aren't shooting cowboys fans. you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isor8al wrote

Saying "fuck the cowboys" and a crowd of people booing a single Cowboys fan doesn't sound like light-hearted fun to me. Anyway I'm not saying it's a whole societal problem, just saying the hatred is idiotic and unnecessary. Even if it's just friendly trash talk, some people are going to take it too far.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/football-argument-ends-in-killing-at-iconic-philly-cheesesteak-spot-pats-king-of-steaks

−2

randym99 t1_isotaj5 wrote

>Saying "fuck the cowboys" and a crowd of people booing a single Cowboys fan doesn't sound like light-hearted fun to me.

sounds pretty light-hearted to me and I think most people

​

>some people are going to take it too far.

this is true for everything and has no bearing on normal people's enjoyment of sports and trash talk

I generally agree with you that people ought to minimize negative trash talk and just support their own team, but I also think tribalism etc. is human nature, we're animals, and while we should strive to do better, sports trash talk is imo one of the least toxic issues our culture currently presents. you're not wrong that it could/should be better but arguing that it's akin to hatred and leads to murder is exaggerating it and weakens your argument. maybe you've seen a different side to this than me, but I and most people I know don't take booing personally or seriously.

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isovdwg wrote

Just because something is human nature doesn't mean it's good. Sports trash talk might not be a massive societal issue but it's still toxic. It does, in fact, lead to murder sometimes and it's very easy to look that information up.

I agree that most people don't take booing personally or seriously. Some people definitely do, though. Wearing a Dallas jersey shouldn't be an invitation to be antagonized. Some people just want to enjoy the game and support their team.

−2

Diltron24 t1_ispwzqw wrote

Educate yourself, this was between America’s supporters likely not from Philly anyway. That culture is not even comparable to This conversation

pvaworldpeace t1_iso9dyu wrote

okay we are real butt cheeks

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isoalwo wrote

Am I wrong?

−24

Odd-Emergency5839 t1_isoawip wrote

As long as it doesn’t lead to violent I think this is the best outlet for tribalism among people. Much better than it being channeled into nationalism/religious hatred

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isobxw6 wrote

It can definitely lead to hatred which sometimes leads to violence. 131 people just died in Indonesia after storming a soccer field when their team lost.

−11

Odd-Emergency5839 t1_isocfq0 wrote

That was much more a function of very poor crowd management and policing. The Indonesian government has admitted as much. Either way Philly fans may be crazy but they aren’t gonna kill anyone over a game (Atleast anymore than they’d kill someone over a parking spot)

hytes0000 t1_isoiufo wrote

There couldn't be less useful info in that article or any others I can find. Sounds like a father and son ended up in a fight with 2 guys they didn't know (from New York, not Philly) and one of them ended up dead somehow. The father claims he and his son were arguing about football when the other guys got involved, but the son wasn't the one killed.

kcvngs76131 OP t1_isomrjt wrote

1. it wasn't blind hatred, it was a bunch of people taking the piss. Booing someone wearing the other team's jersey is so tame, and it's not like the cowboy fans on the other side of the street were threatened; they laughed and waved at us.

2. I wasn't even born in the US, so idk what that argument is supposed to mean. (I was also technically born closer to Ibrox than Celtic Park, but that doesn't make me a Rangers fan.)

weareallbuttcheeks t1_isosygw wrote

It's tame until someone takes things a little too far. It's not common but people do get killed because of this. Give me one good reason why it's necessary for sports fans to antagonize other teams/fans.

−3

psuedonymously t1_isny8wo wrote

>No matter the differences we have, at least the city can completely agree on "fuck the cowboys."

I mean, except for all the people walking by in Cowboys jerseys.

−131

DFWPunk t1_iso87ii wrote

You're assuming they're local. They wouldn't all have been. They travel well for games. LA and Phoenix are basically home games.

JennItalia269 t1_isolxio wrote

It was a soccer fan fest. Anyone who wore a cowboys shirt deserves to get shit on.

There were a handful of eagles shirts in there.