Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

grittyfanboi t1_iu4giey wrote

Holy shit, what's the one fun thing voters don't know about you? And the libertarian answers "I never wore a mask during the lockdown" My guy, that's fun? I mean okay, I see the stance you're taking but like do you just talk about Uncle Larry and Covid conspiracies while sharing a beer with someone. Good lord. People wonder why third parties never really take off.

uptown_gargoyle t1_iu462gc wrote

lmao at the libertarian guy's answers. He's anti-mask and thinks he could abolish the minimum wage as an at large councilmember in Philadelphia.

Also Vaughn's approach to gun violence -- "freezing bullet purchases" -- seems implausible

Meatfrom1stgrade OP t1_iu49e4t wrote

I also enjoyed the libertarian's idea to abolish the PPA. Parking in Philly would be even more of a disaster than it already is.

_Sebaceous_cyst t1_iu4ly0f wrote

The ppa should be abolished and replaced with a city ran parking authority. I read somewhere on here that only 10% of the fines from ppa actually make it to the city.

uptown_gargoyle t1_iu4eitf wrote

I think it was a bad interview, because it's near impossible to articulate anything of substance when you're told to limit yourself to one, 15-word sentence. But it's concerning that at least two of these candidates seem not to understand the role of a municipal government as compared to the role of a state and federal government.

randym99 t1_iu4m76j wrote

hard to load a gun when the bullets are super cold!

randym99 t1_iu4mug1 wrote

I'm liberal but leaning towards voting both R candidates. The D candidates are much less qualified or fully absent, probably just banking on that D by their name. At least Murray and Hasher aren't MAGA idiots, have actual thoughtful responses addressing real issues like opioid crisis, crime, and the city wage tax, and took time and effort to do any campaigning. Murray in particular sounds like a reasonable and intelligent person who has been involved in his community for years. Both have campaign websites, while Vaughn's is nowhere to be found and Harrity sounds like a jabroni who just happens to know some currently elected Dems. I know the Rs don't stand a chance but I'd support them winning and kind of want to show a protest vote anyway. I'm still voting for most other D candidates.

cdal06 t1_iu66aez wrote

I appreciate this comment, I usually vote Democrat but I am open to non-Democrat candidates. I didn’t feel like this interview really helped me make a final decision. I agree about Murray, I took a look at his website and I like his stances.

_crapitalism t1_iu7o2n1 wrote

Murray immediately answering a question about inequality with "we must privatize more schools" is a total non-starter for me. plus having your solution to crime be "I will simply yell at Larry Krasner until he does broken windows policing" isn't an actionable policy, it's just something that will make certain residents feel good while improving the lives of nobody.

I'd rather another corrupt democrat than someone who will shake up the status quo for the worse. if there's a green or wfp candidate I'll probably vote for them though.

ParallelPeterParker t1_iu4pty3 wrote

The at-large voting here is perhaps one of the greater problems with Philly politics/elections - I admit the City is overwhelmingly Democratic, which is fine, but leveraging the process to avoid a primary system is something that needs to be fixed. Citizens/voters should have a chance to vet alternatives themselves.

Voters shouldn't be stuck between choosing a hand/party-picked successor and a Republican (and a Liberatarian...but whatever).

cdal06 t1_iu65zuy wrote

Thanks for posting OP. I’m torn on who to vote for, I saw the one Republican’s candidate website and his views seem pretty fair. Does anyone have some opinions on the candidates? I really don’t feel like this interview helped me that much.