Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nothankyoutwo t1_iu144l0 wrote

I worked at Flynn & O’Hara selling school uniforms

_Sebaceous_cyst t1_iu14g23 wrote

So you know all about them shitty GBXs

nothankyoutwo t1_iu16p4o wrote

I used to know all the plaid numbers but that knowledge is lost to time. Still fold my shorts though the way we had to fold them there 😂

myothercarisapynchon t1_iu0xenu wrote

i worked at the CVS at 11th and south when i was in high school. i worked the night the phillies won the world series in 2008. the bus that ran down 12th street was detoured down 10th street and i saw the fireworks and knew they had won 🥲

PassyunkHoagie OP t1_iu0q6oc wrote

First job ever was working the register at a West Coast Video & Hope's Cookies in the burbs. Pretty sweet gig. Free rentals, free snacks, lots of characters among the customers and staff, and basically zero oversight. Great way to make a buck back in the day.

Pharaoh1010 t1_iu0td1a wrote

My first job was on south st! At one of those shops selling fake jewelry. It made me the person I am now 😂

PassyunkHoagie OP t1_iu0uugt wrote

Any good stories from back then?

Pharaoh1010 t1_iu125pb wrote

Not really. Just a lot of drunk people having a good time. I did have a Kevin hart Impersonator come in a brake a display lol.

typeytypetype t1_iu0qjte wrote

Making sandwiches and selling smokes and lotto tickets a tiny deli in the burbs. $4.00/hr. Even back then at 13 years old I knew I was getting stiffed.

PassyunkHoagie OP t1_iu0rok0 wrote

Had some friends who worked the counter at a pharmacy and primarily sold scratchers. Loved hearing about all the superstitions they had with the tickets.

typeytypetype t1_iu0tgac wrote

The entire language that goes with it is what really surprised me. I don't remember it anymore (13 was quite a while ago) but the first time someone walked up and started rattling off 'gimme a pick four, box 8, etc. etc.' I was beyond baffled.

uncivil_peasant t1_iu0u7n2 wrote

I was 14 and it was watching out for the cops during card and craps games in the neighborhood. It paid really well and when they were finished playing I was always invited in for a great home cooked meal and some gabagool.

GooFoYouPal t1_iu0rm9q wrote

delivering the Daily News PM edition

PassyunkHoagie OP t1_iu0sgiu wrote

When did they stop putting out a PM edition?

GooFoYouPal t1_iu0ww5n wrote

You know, im not sure. This was 30+ years ago, I just remember going after school to pick up my allotment at the drop off house and then delivering them.

sciencefaire t1_iu18k2r wrote

I sold water ice at a mom and pop place. Was the best job, we had so much fun.

terradactle t1_iu14i3l wrote

Driving the horse drawn carriages around independence hall. Apparently they let just anyone do it. Responded to a Craigslist ad when I was in college and the next day I was in charge of maneuvering giant horses through old city and was supposed to be educating tourists about the history of the city which I knew very little about. The job was 100% commission based and I sucked at it, so I quit after making like $20 in a week

Angsty_Potatos t1_iu1bhub wrote

God waitressing at Chickies n Pete's on packer avenue. I try not to think about it. Jesus h Christ that job sucked the soul out of me

stickyrice215 t1_iu1iwl2 wrote

Mechanic at Pepboys. I definitely don’t miss it

dub_long t1_iu1meq1 wrote

Starbucks on 4th and South. Seemed like my entire life revolved around South Street at one point. Walked around there recently and it was absolutely depressing.

MissFormaldehyde t1_iu4cwfs wrote

Agreed. Atleast new bars and restaurants are starting to pop up.

They're also in the process of building a hotel.

GravesDrums t1_iu16nnw wrote

My dad had a roofing business. Summers up there were tough but built up character. Got a nice tan and made good money.

GreatWhiteRapper t1_iu1f625 wrote

FYE in The Gallery back in 2011. That place really showed me how miserable retail jobs are.

BranTheBrokens t1_iu1lhs5 wrote

One of my first jobs was working at Capogiro in Rittenhouse. Made 9/hr and tips would always be really good in the summer. It was a cool place, and I got a lot of free food from working for them. Was a good first job, tbh, and sometimes I miss working there purely for the ~vibes~. Then they fucking closed and we didn't get any notice lmfao

baldude69 t1_iu0rrw6 wrote

The job that brought me here was working as a photographer. They didn’t tell me it was seasonal, so soon I was freelancing and picking up compost on the weekends

44moon t1_iu1cowa wrote

worked on an assembly line in a window factory, about 10 years ago. was 18

MacKelvey t1_iu1t719 wrote

Happy Tymes Family Fun Center in Warrington

AbsentEmpire t1_iu2102n wrote

First job was working at PathMark.

Within one week of working there I had all the motivation I needed to hit the books, graduate high school, and get into college.

xpeebsx t1_iu2fk15 wrote

Changing cat litter boxes in Kensington 2009

jimsinspace t1_iu4279i wrote

Was this a door to door thing kind of like shoveling snow in the winter?

xpeebsx t1_iu4818r wrote

Nah it was a cat hoarder who operated under the guise of a non profit and sanctuary for strays. There was probably 100-200 cats in a random conjoined row homes property. It was disgusting and has since been broken up by the FBI. You could smell the cat piss getting off the El.

tonytrov t1_iu22gsg wrote

cleaning pans and braiding easter bread at Cosmi's Bakery on 13th and Oregon

Blueskyfox2019 t1_iu2a3t2 wrote

My first Philly job was working in the toy department at Strawbridge & Clothier.

eer1chill t1_iu4o19t wrote

Putt Putt Mini Golf at Cottman and Pennway. I ran it for a few years towards the end. Then West Coast Video at Rising Sun and Godfrey. Ran that for years, had a Ticketmaster and was one of the first “Game Power” headquarters. Both awesome first jobs.

GeekyMoore t1_iu28919 wrote

Programming intern, Wayne PA

MissFormaldehyde t1_iu4cgwh wrote

ShopRite when it was still in Snyder Plaza. I worked there from 2009-2011 as a bagger/assistant.

Muppet_Rock t1_iu4momc wrote

"Explainer" at the Academy of Natural Sciences. I was part of a girls science program in 9th grade, then I worked at the museum in a bunch of different areas through the rest of high school. Highlights include tour guide, small group exhibit talks, animal cage cleaning, insect/reptile/rodent handling, and running the dinosaur dig.

ElstonGunn1992 t1_iu5d20v wrote

Barista at metropolitan bakery as a teenager. Still one of the most fun jobs I’ve had