Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jbphilly t1_ix9vjyn wrote

0% surprised that this was a Republican hate crime. The more Republican politicians make LGBT people the targets of their hate campaigns, calling them groomers and accusing them of being pedophiles, the more this shit is going to keep happening.

Keep that in mind when the media starts presenting Ron Desantis as the moderate alternative to Trump and going on and on about how reasonable he is. He made attacking gay kids and teachers one of the centerpieces of his political campaign. Fuck him and everyone who voted for him.

Unethical_GOP t1_ixaclr8 wrote

DeSantis is NOT a moderate. He’s a right wing fascist.

jbphilly t1_ixai9uj wrote

Fuckin' A, man.

But watch: the media is so desperate to default back to their pre-Trump both-sidesism that they're going to latch onto him and treat him just like he's George H. W. Bush or something. They're already tripping over themselves to lavish free media attention on him, making the exact same mistake they made with Trump in 2015-16.

[deleted] t1_ixan5xi wrote

[deleted]

−17

creepy-cats t1_ixarhnh wrote

A homophobic right-winger from a family of January 6th insurrectionists went out of his way to pick a populous place filled with members of the LGBTQ community, carefully planning his massacre on a day and time when the club would be most crowded (Saturday night). I would understand the confusion if he picked a random shopping mall or city center, but this was a gay club. If a carefully constructed slaughter of a minority population isn’t a hate crime then what is?

rovinchick t1_ixihdqc wrote

It's a little confusing as the shooter themself is allegedly non-binary.

creepy-cats t1_ixiprrz wrote

Not that I don’t believe them, but I’m willing to take information presented by Fox News affiliates with a grain of salt. This sounds a lot like conservatives are setting up a dogwhistle situation to sow plausible deniability when it comes to the legitimacy of the shooter’s violent, homophobic agenda. Perspectives may change as the information gets more detailed, but publishing a special news article just to let everyone know the shooter uses they/them pronouns sounds an awful lot like a setup to double down on homophobic and transphobic narratives in the wake of this tragedy.

rovinchick t1_ixiutte wrote

It's in the court documents and reported by all news stations including MSNBC affiliates, so it has nothing to do with faux news. I said allegedly, because I don't take it at face value, either. But there are always crazy assertions about who someone is before the whole story is told and that irks me.