Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HistoricalSubject t1_j0ianu4 wrote

the buses are the most confusing, mostly because of often unannounced detours and cancellations. the subway, the El, the trolleys and the RR are never confusing (that doesn't mean they are not sometimes frustrating though, usually because of delays, track changes [i.e. you need to board on westbound to go eastbound because of a breakdown], or skipped stops [this is due to delays, so for instance if there was a long delay because of a breakdown, and you are boarding at 11th, they might "skip" all stops till spring garden or Berks to get things moving again, and the overhead announcement will be muffled and you won't hear that detail and board anyway]).

so to answer your question-- if you have trouble with the tracks, yea, its possible you are dumb. but if its buses, no, i would not assume you are dumb from the info you have given.

Deciduous-Trees t1_j0io7jq wrote

Disagree that the subway, the El, trolleys and the RR are "never confusing". The way these trains are referred to colloquially can't even be agreed upon (ex, newer residents and tourists don't know the BSL is "the subway"). SEPTA's new wayfinding and renaming can't come soon enough.

tomyownrhythm t1_j0lcdcb wrote

Yeah, trying to catch the express southbound on the BSL and suddenly you’re at 8th and Market because you didn’t notice the yellow lights on the front of the train….

wleesal t1_j0izsvq wrote

Disagree in the RR is never confusing, if you have to buy a ticket you need to know what zone you’re going to and that isn’t posted anywhere!!!! So unnecessarily confusing for newer riders

plasteroid t1_j0jyge8 wrote

My favorite RR experience. I laugh now about it… I accidentally got on an Express train from Suburban ( that skips my Narberth stop).

Conductor comes by. I show him my zone 2 pass.
He asks “where you going?”

Me: “Narberth”

Him:

Him: “no yer not”

Me:

Me: “oh shit”

Flustro t1_j0k31s8 wrote

The way I cackled at this... 😂

plasteroid t1_j0l2aue wrote

Thank you for your comment and making me smile this morning. Haha

tigerlotus t1_j0iv57a wrote

tbf the unannounced bus detours are usually not Septa's fault but more poor communication from the contractors working on the roads. The amount of times I've seen a bus pull up at an intersection of a closed road and have to let everyone off to walk to a different stop, when the driver clearly didn't even know about the construction, is pretty ridiculous. On the other hand Septa knows about their planned rail work so the app will pop up notifications about those and their impacts well in advance.

nolandeluca t1_j0lv6p6 wrote

This, especially when the art museum had it's strike, my bus would let us off and say to catch one up the street