Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ConfiaEnElProceso OP t1_j5qolr8 wrote

There are two independent things happening with the endorsement.

1. This almost certainly helps Rhynhart's chances to win. It is an important voting bloc. Just how influential Street is at this point is an open question, but the endorsement is helpful politically.

2. I think, and I may be mistaken, that this calls into question how much of a reformer she really is. Street is, or was, an insider with a reputation for corruption and shady dealings. If he is showing her the ropes, will she govern in a similar way?

donttouchthirdrail t1_j5rfrxv wrote

Political corruption is abstract and doesn’t effect people’s day to day life very much. If someone can get the abandoned cars off the streets and sweep them idgaf if their dumbest cousins on payroll.

−2

ConfiaEnElProceso OP t1_j5rmon5 wrote

I respectfully disagree. Our libraries, schools, sanitation, streets are all underfunded in part due to the graft that is part and parcel of Philly politics.

donttouchthirdrail t1_j5rocv3 wrote

Nah man, the old machines were great. Get you a job, build a subway, might even get you a job building the subway. Now we don’t get any of the patronage, but we still have all the corruption. Sure, a bunch of guys named Mikey O’Donnelly are in city payroll, but if you’ve got a problem you call up your ward leader and Mikey takes care of it