Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Robertsihr t1_j6ga6ci wrote

Someone suggested the greased poles are just a misdirection. Gives people something to do that’s relatively low risk to everyone else, and it means they’re not flipping cars or breaking windows

grahampositive t1_j6icqqf wrote

300 years from now, the halftime show at the Superbowl will feature professional greased-pole climbers and people will wonder what the origin of this time-honored tradition is

8_Foot_Vertical_Leap t1_j6i032x wrote

Honestly, I think it'd be great if every time a mass celebration breaks out, the city should openly set up and advertise sanctiined celebratory events like this. Buy a couple dead cars from a junkyard and hold a group car flip contest. Grease a bunch of poles and put crash pads around the base. Etc etc. Just turn center city into a big adult playground for a night to direct and contain the energy (and maybe even raise some money for a charity).

YoungHeartOldSoul t1_j6lmd8b wrote

I believe it may have worked out that way but that would require some big brain at the PPD and I don't think that's what's happening in there.

JohSpell t1_j6g7nvd wrote

If we had to pick one Philadelphian to be the patron saint of greased poles, who would it be?