Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ashhole613 t1_j4w8asx wrote

Thanks so much for posting that link. I've been trying to parse neighborhood crime information and never came across this map. A similar map was absolutely vital for us when we were figuring out where to buy back when we still lived in New Orleans, so this is hugely helpful! <3

randym99 t1_j4wckf6 wrote

Glad to help. In a comment just below I also linked the PPD crime map that has other crime categories.

Oh and if you're moving to Philly and might vote in the Mayoral election next Nov, I'll plug that this map was created by the city's Office of the Controller under former Controller Rebecca Rhynhart, who resigned in order to run for Mayor. This is just one example of her work in office that makes me want to vote for her.

ashhole613 t1_j4wgf6z wrote

Excellent to know - thank you! I'll absolutely be digging into candidates.

We'd moved up to Boston a few years ago for my spouse's job, but we'll be priced out entirely once our lease is up in the summer. Loved Philadelphia (felt so much like home in N.O.), though, so it seems like a quick bounce a few hours south. These weekly moving threads are so helpful.

CheeseburgerLover911 t1_j3rwy2w wrote

I'm having a hard time reconciling that data vs. what I see on my local citizen/fb group/next door app.

This dataset seems like a lot less than what I was expecting.

randym99 t1_j3rxwgp wrote

Lol, I can't tell if you're making a joke, but just in case you're serious or for anyone else reading this who isn't sure: right, that's the most common criticism of those apps, that they tend to stoke fear needlessly. Of course, they report actual shootings but if you're not Batman, why do you need realtime updates on every shooting? Also, for every legitimate shooting, idiots report every other loud noise, of which the city has many. I do not consume those apps and have felt very safe in Point Breeze for two years now.

For add'l crime data, PPD has an interactive map but it's a little annoying to use (you have to draw the boundaries you want to search then select the time range, and it only shows up to like 1k results, so don't make your search too large): https://www.phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats

LFKhael t1_j3ry7kn wrote

Citizen is a disease and feeds the moral panic trend at a level local news could only dream of.

My coworkers are fucking hooked on it.