Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

aaactuary OP t1_j6dcl99 wrote

The house is literally next to elmwood park zoo if that means anything. What do you think of that area.

cst79 t1_j6ddtog wrote

That's also very close to the Farm Park, which is where I did my long run this morning. And close to the State Hospital, which used to have some very cool abandoned buildings but they are tearing them all down now :-( I have run through all those neighborhoods - they don't *look* too bad, and most of the homes look to be kept up pretty well. I think the closer you get to Markley Street, the less desireable it gets. I really dannot offer anything else about the neighborhood, but anything around there is a good location - close to Transportation Center, and can get to highways, KOP, malls pretty easilty.

Series_G t1_j6dz6as wrote

I have peeps right on that block near Elmwood Park. That's a nice spot. E. Norriton less risky, with nicer housing stock. Our home value is way up over past few years. I think that's the wrong way to think about it, but I get it.

Our kids have done great in Norristown schools but there's a lot of poor families who aren't engaged in their kid's education. Our valedictorian last year went to Harvard, 2nd went to Brown University, and so on. Kids do fine here if they want to. Rest of the hype is just people being uncomfortable in majority black/brown schools. Yeah, I said it.

PM if you wanna chat.

cst79 t1_j6e1srm wrote

That's most likely true. So many of the parents I know, at work and at the gym, have put their kids in private schools due to what they know (or think they know) about NASD.

Norristown, in general, has always gotten a bad rap. I run down Cherry Street to get to the SRT, and I probably would not want to live there. That area near the Zoo, though, looks nice to me, at least when I run or bike through there. Proximity to the Farm Park would be a big selling point for me, as that Farm Park is great. I am in Coleston, near Cole Manor Elementary, and love it. Houses go up for sale occasionally here, but usually are not on the market long. I bought this house in 2002, and it's doubled in value. Not too transient here - once folks move in, they tend to stay.

hknewbie t1_j6ddkci wrote

That’s actually a nice area as I recall. If you had to live in Norristown (easy access to the train and 76, plus cheap AF), then you’re looking at a good spot IMHO. Overall, I agree with the general consensus: Norristown is crap.

aaactuary OP t1_j6ddqll wrote

Yeah i agree i get bad vibes in most of norristown.

When i drove through this neighborhood i was so surprised. It was actually really charming…

k2j2 t1_j6epjo1 wrote

Norristown does have bright spots- Lou’s for zeps, 5 Saints Distilling, VonC Brewing, Theater Horizon is a great local theater, Elmwood Zoo, access to the farm park, August Moon, Emiliano’s, multiple legit taquerias, access to the R6, high speed line, SRT, etc. It’s not all doom and gloom.

aaactuary OP t1_j6es6uv wrote

Emilianos is amazing! I have been wanting to go To august moon.

ShelleyTambo t1_j6gkqln wrote

Do it! We were so happy they finally reopened after being closed for reno.

TiberiusCornelius t1_j6dqr69 wrote

Generally the periphery parts of Norristown are better. A friend lived in an apartment near the Catholic school just over the line from West Norriton and it was fine. I also know a couple who until recently lived in a place up on the far north side of Powell and as far as I know they never had any issues; definitely nothing major.

Linzabee t1_j6kqa3j wrote

My friend used to live right by the zoo there. She enjoyed it, but she had children. We used to go to the zoo all the time, which is pretty great. Didn’t have too many issues with the neighborhood although I know it can get worse a couple blocks further down. They lived there until the children were pre-school aged and then moved out because she and her husband didn’t want to send them to Norristown schools.