Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cli4ordtheBRD t1_j6srcew wrote

This is a really good book about how to be skeptical and how to use your newfound powers.

Calling Bullshit: The Art of Skepticism in a Data-Driven World". It's by two professors, Carl T. Bergstrom (Theoretical & Evolutionary Biologist) and Jevin D. West (Data Science). This isn't a book about bipolar but it's very much worth the read (and I highly recommend it ([the full course is on YouTube] (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnZfvKID1Sje5jWxt-4CSZD7bUI4gSPS)))

Towards the end, the authors try to instill a sense of responsibility in the reader of their new found powers by providing multiple warnings, which unfortunately could be read as a list of devastating personal attacks on my character provided by someone who has spent serious time with me (I was once told that having a conversation with me "felt like the verbal equivalent of getting mugged"...by a friend, who wasn't wrong).

• "Carelessly calling bullshit is a quick way to make enemies of strangers and strangers of friends." (pg. 266)

• "Scoring rhetorical points on tangential technicalities doesn't convince anyone, it just pisses people off." (pg. 280)

• "The less antagonistic your interaction is, the more likely someone will seriously consider your ideas." (pg. 280)

• "What's a well-actually guy? It’s the guy who interrupts a conversation to demonstrate his own cleverness by pointing out some irrelevant factoid that renders the speaker incorrect on a technicality." (pg. 284)

• "A well-actually guy doesn't care so much about where the argument is going as he does about demonstrating his own intellectual superiority." (pg. 285)

• "A well-actually guy doesn't care about protecting an audience, he is merely interested in demonstrating his own cleverness." (pg. 285)

• "His motivation is to put the speaker in her place while raising himself up." (pg. 285)

• "A caller of bullshit makes a careful decision about whether it is worthwhile to speak up, derail a conversation, risk a confrontation, or make someone feel defensive. A well-actually guy simply cannot help himself. He hears something he believes he can contradict and doesn't have the self-control to think first about whether it is helpful to do so." (pg. 285)

• "He doesn't care about advancing truth, or about the logical coherence of his objections. He is simply trying to impress or intimidate someone with his knowledge." (pg. 286)

rynosoft t1_j6tnrdt wrote

I worry all the time about being the well-actually guy.

fenasi_kerim t1_j6vxu4j wrote

Actually it's pretty easy to not be that guy.

...wait.

OkeyDoke47 t1_j6ux27k wrote

My brother-in-law is the ''well actually'' guy, and he actually does say that.

He is a man of clearly superior intellect, Rain Man level of recall for tiny little factoids about everything. it's just a shame that he always feels the need to prove his superiority with every conversation. This makes him often unpleasant, when he is otherwise a pleasant man.

jorjordandan t1_j6vvzsh wrote

This also reminds me of the idea of reading or listening charitably- assuming the best version of the argument, or that the writer or listener simplified something to make it more legible or interesting… a well actually guy always does the opposite, looking for any detail to jump on to, whether it’s relevant to the conversation or not. I think this behaviour (in addition to being irritating) also lowers the quality of discourse in general by forcing everyone to constantly hedge their arguments against every possible obvious minor nitpick.

buttersstochfan-5956 t1_j6vqesd wrote

Hahaha I just picked up the audiobook for Calling Bullshit, it's really good!

​

Also Alexa will bleep the name out when you play it out of the speaker.