Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

forestwolf42 t1_j89if8p wrote

Reply to comment by SirLeaf in You're probably a eugenicist by 4r530n

Yeah, the point is there is a huge ethically middle ground in-between Nazism and Incest, a middle ground that reasonable people already occupy, but we are afraid to have conversations about policy and ideas that could benefit the future because we are afraid of being called Nazis.

I, for example, have decided not to have children because of various psychological disorders that run on both sides of my family, as well as actual gene damage from my grandfather studying uranium before we understood how dangerous it is. There is a high chance for my children to have disabilities, so I've decided not to have any. And I encourage other people in similar situations to voluntarily not reproduce and consider adoption. This is definitely a "eugenics" mindset, but I don't think encouraging people to consider the welfare of their potential children before having them to be Nazi behavior.

AConcernedCoder t1_j89q803 wrote

Anti-natalists can have a variety of rationales for their choices -- a belief that one has an ethical obligation to not bring children into the world being one of them, is not the same as the belief in a class of people that should neither procreate or be eradicated. One is megalomaniacal.

That's not even touching the absurdities baked into the idea of "improvements." Superiority is very much a subjective evaluation. Genetic fitness isn't the same as one culture's preferential vision of what it considers a superior human being.

−5

SirLeaf t1_j89t6hu wrote

This is more interesting than your comment alleging that the post is promoting nazism.