Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j8z0mt9 wrote

[deleted]

−1

ThePhilosofyzr t1_j8zezsc wrote

I'll take that to mean the same as, "Is there a duty to conceive a child so that it may experience a god's love" as the question seems to be a double negative (Would it be not ethical to not give.... by not permitting it to not exist)

Does god's love increase or perpetuate the frustration of a child's fundamental needs?

If we accept that a god's love is not a socially constructed and psychologically manipulated want, then increasing the experience of a god's love by accepting the duties or at least accepting that bringing a new sentient being into existence perpetuates human suffering. From the article:

>Pronatalists defend reproduction on more traditional grounds. My conflict-responsive negative utilitarianism offers a middle way. Since the reproducers’ claim is so bold, approaching bizarre, they do have a strong prima facie duty not to have children. Due to the clash of fundamental need frustrations, however, the final judgment is deferred and can only be made after further scrutiny and assessment.

Not being well-versed in religious ideology, I suggest that a Christian god's love does come at a cost; original sin.

In the garden of eden, there was supposedly no pain or anguish, but autonomy was dwarfed, either by divine design of humans or by coercion; by the threat of removal of needs met by existing in eden.

As Eve's autonomy was exercised, either intrinsically, or by devilish trickery: Humanity was thusly punished in mortality.

Attempting to create logical steps from theology is madness in my view. Nonetheless, I think I have shown that a christian god created the conditions for increasing and perpetuating human suffering by dwarfing autonomy in the garden of eden.

I posit that this god's love increases or perpetuates the suffering of humans, as it requires existing to experience, & that existence came at a cost of dwarfed autonomy.

MattiHayry t1_j922ysy wrote

Thanks The Philosofyzr! A very good analysis! The author has nothing to add. :)