Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

failure_of_a_cow t1_j9hlpeo wrote

That's not true, we could also prevent the rich people from moving. Or we could section off areas and limit property ownership there to only people who belong to certain groups, perhaps certain income brackets. Or we could distribute housing by some method other than money, like a lottery or a beauty contest.

Whenever you say, "the only way..." you're running into dangerous territory.

−10

mrmrmrj t1_j9hutla wrote

Preventing anyone from moving is tyranny. Limiting property ownership to certain types of people is feudalism.

failure_of_a_cow t1_j9hzwgx wrote

Limiting property ownership to certain types of people is an all-ism. There is no economic or political system which does not do this, except perhaps anarchism. And even that depends on how it's implemented.

Limiting ownership is an inevitable result of a limited supply of property.

As for what tyranny is, that's another subject entirely.

HoboHash t1_j9hy7i8 wrote

Are you fucking proposing segeraration base on income?

failure_of_a_cow t1_j9hykai wrote

... What? I made no proposals, I said that the parent's logic was suspect. Frankly, poor.

[deleted] t1_j9i72m4 wrote

[deleted]

failure_of_a_cow t1_j9ia3av wrote

The case for gentrification is usually something in terms of economic development. The notion that we shouldn't halt development, halt progress, just because some people lose out. Other people gain from that same progress, and it advances both the neighborhood and society as a whole.

Some people also make property rights arguments in favor of gentrification, I mentioned this is another comment. Basically: our system rewards those who have the most money, and gentrification is simply one example of that. And this is good, because our system is good. Or at least better than all other options. (people who make this kind of argument never actually examine all other options)