Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j9k0uh5 wrote

>The author made some broad, sweeping statements that were easily shown to be false. If that is the case, what could be some other things that the author might have fudged for the sake of their argument?

Some of what the author said applies only to one specific neighborhood. In other neighborhoods, it doesn't apply.

So you'll attack the claim that whites are doing all the gentrification.

But that's not a claim that he made. Did he? I only see mention of this specific neighborhood with regards to race. And it's not even the important part of the article to my eye.

Is this not the very definition of attacking a straw man?

Edit: Also, it wasn't hyperbole, it was sarcasm, right?

VersaceEauFraiche t1_j9k2mjj wrote

"Unmentioned by Glass, though, is the 𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐒𝐚π₯ 𝐬𝐒𝐠𝐧𝐒𝐟𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐑𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐬, especially in the US context. So often, it’s not just rich people moving in – it’s 𝐫𝐒𝐜𝐑 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐭𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩π₯𝐞. When that happens, 𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐒𝐚π₯ 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 inflects and compounds the power of capital."

This is the author's words that he wrote himself. He is placing emphasis on race himself. I am referencing the words that the author wrote.

You simply want it to not be an issue when the author brought it up as an issue. You say it is not even the important part of the article, despite the author repeatedly mentioning it. You are trying to convince me to not see the words in the article that the author wrote. You accuse me of attacking a strawman when I seek to discuss the author's exact words. Speaking of straws, I think you're grasping at them.

There is noting else that can be said on this topic.