Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ReaperX24 t1_jaec433 wrote

The vaccines and lockdowns weren't quite as effective as we had hoped, nor quite as necessary as we had initially feared, so it must then follow that the whole thing is a conspiracy.

That would be his implication, if I had to take a guess.

heathy28 t1_jaehvbc wrote

seems like basic logical deduction to me.

do viruses spread = yes they do. are people dying from covid = yes they are. do quarantines prevent ppl from spreading contagious viruses = yes they do.

conclusion, not spreading the virus through quarantines probably did help prevent many ppl from dying. especially those with compromised immune systems.

platoprime t1_jaembuu wrote

Things aren't always what they seem my friend!

They are exactly how they seem in regards to this though.

−9

smuglator t1_jaeuzwt wrote

Are quarantines effective when there's people nit following guidelines? Not as much.

People who want evidence, watch the covid numbers rise and fall in places as mask mandates were lifted and reinstated.

There's no way to show evidence that can convince folks who are already choosing to ignore them for the sake of what they want to see..

platoprime t1_jaem8qp wrote

Not quite as effective is very different from "proven false" though so "you'd" be moving goalposts.

ReaperX24 t1_jaer06u wrote

I can't speak on behalf of this particular person, but the point I'm making is that, most of the covid naysayers have been leaning on the fact that they were right about a thing or two (for all the wrong reasons, of course) to act vindictive and push their agenda, in standard bad faith-fueled conspiracy theorist fashion.

platoprime t1_jaer4te wrote

I agree with you. I put you in quotation marks to try and indicate I wasn't really directing my comment at you necessarily.

ReaperX24 t1_jaerb03 wrote

All good, I thought as much - but figured I'd clarify just be to be sure.

CCCmonster t1_jaehhtb wrote

Jumping to conclusions a bit? I’m not claiming conspiracy. Just that there was a whole lot of unsettled science - and science - can always be reasonably examined. The shut down of reasoned debate is always troubling

−15

platoprime t1_jaemgix wrote

You're not making an argument though. If you'd like to debate you need to be saying something beyond "Waaah there's no debate going on! Waaaah"

ReaperX24 t1_jaes29c wrote

I indeed did jump to conclusions and may have ended up misconstruing you, as a result. I did say that it was a guess, though.

If that is the case, feel free to clarify your side of the argument.

CCCmonster t1_jaett8g wrote

My side is that anyone that questioning the government/media line was ridiculed instead of examining the facts. From calling lab leak hypothesis racist to labeling the questioning of mask usage as science heretics. One of the biggest was denying natural immunity as equal/superior to vaccination. I was vaccinated. But I value real science that allows discussion instead of some quasi religious following of kneejerk “science edicts” by people who won’t allow medical discussion/observations of people in the medical field. Whatever happened to - it’s ok to get a 2nd opinion?

−7

ReaperX24 t1_jaevnwk wrote

I absolutely agree that many folks were far too militant about this, but to be fair, we were living through (and perhaps still are) a potential existential crisis, and most of the folks on the other side ranged from highly irresponsible to batshit insane.

In regards to the lab leak hypothesis, I'm no expert, but based on my personal research, it does seem to have way more merit than the mainstream opinion would lead you to believe, but at the time, investigating it wasn't as important as handling the crisis itself.

As for natural immunity, yes, it turned out to be more effective in most ways, but it obviously poses a much higher risk. Also, taking the vaccine in addition to natural immunity proved to be the best option, so it's a very poor excuse for rallying against the vaccine.

I agree with your overall point in regards to the value of free speech, but the devil is in the details.

CCCmonster t1_jaewv02 wrote

My point all along is discussion is important, especially with anything science based. The scientific method requires it. The specifics about Covid aren’t as important as the squashing of debate.