Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Efficient-Squash5055 t1_je4zzey wrote

Yea I think so. Well to the extent that one seeks a religion after childhood, you know after the stage we are indoctrinated by everything around us in early years.

As obviously there is the dynamic that kids will adopt predominant cultural beliefs as their own; which is why 99.9 percent of middle eastern children identify as Islam in adulthood (as example).

Though if one was neutral or ambivalent on the subject until adulthood and began looking for a “higher power”- I’m pretty sure they will seek a sect which allows them to be who they already are. Someone geared toward hateful thinking, vengeful punitive thinking would no doubt align to the more negative barbaric religions with a “cause”. I’m remembering all the westerners who subscribed to sharia law and negative forms of Islam through the past age of “terrorism”.

They found a “higher power” that gave them authority to be who they already were. Likewise a person largely compassionate/forgiving by nature would never accept such a “higher power”.