Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ukuskomara t1_irjfriz wrote

For much more detailed explorations of the weirdness of quantum theory, I recommend Carlos Rovelli's work. He's very capable of rendering complex concepts for non-physicists, while still recognizing how strange and poetic the implications are from philosophical perspectives.

thebeautifulseason t1_irk1yq3 wrote

Currently listening to The Order of Time. The sentences sound so simple, but if I pause to think about it I am immediately back in wtf space. Just writing “pause, “think,” “immediate,” and “space” has my mind melting. (Which must indicate the passage of time because melting involves an exchange of heat? Idk man)

GreenTeaBD t1_irludvh wrote

If you end up liking it when you're done with it, I'd recommend An Introduction to the Philosophy of Time by Sam Baron and Kristie Miller. I read both, and I think they go together well.

The latter hints at a different conclusion and is more exhaustive (for better and for worse) but just The Order of Time left me feeling like there were some things left unexplained.

Introduction to the Philosophy of Time definitely explained things.

johnstocktonshorts t1_irjza0o wrote

where should i start?

Hems88 t1_irk08tz wrote

7 brief lessons is also a good option.

In addition, I'd check out the world science festival talks that Brian Greene has done are very good places to learn.

Another author to check out would be Sean Carroll.

There are some really great physics authors these days. Helps the layperson understand the beauty of physics and certainly helped shape my world view

ukuskomara t1_irjzo8x wrote

He's got more recent works that are in my queue to read, but "Reality is Not What It Seems" is not a bad choice. Mileage may vary, depending on one's background.

paraffin t1_irk5yb7 wrote

My vote is helgoland. Does a good job of setting the stage for understanding where all this thinking came from

ukuskomara t1_irk6o65 wrote

Glad you liked it -- it's sitting by my bed for the near future.

VoidsIncision t1_irk8bv5 wrote

Chris Fields has good stuff here as well. See” the Equivalence of the Symbol Grounding Problem and The System identification problem”, “Decompositional Equivalence a fundamental symmetry underlying quantum theory”, “neurons as hierarchies of quantum reference frames”, “markov blankets are generalized physical interaction surfaces”, a “free energy principle for generic quantum systems.”